Chapter 20

Long Chapter!!!

-Katexx

--------------

Chapter 20

We drive.

It's seems to be all we do for over three hours, which is exactly the time it takes to get to Harry's family house in Holmes Chapel. I drive for the first hour and a half. The first twenty times I asked to drive, he refused and wouldn't even give me enough time to elaborate or make a deal with him. However, he quickly became annoyed with me and gave in when he was on the edge of ripping his ears off. Then he drives for the rest of the time, turning off the GPS and letting his natural instinct guide him.

He knows the way by heart. Of course he does.

Driving on the right doesn't confuse me anymore. I remember the first few times I started driving, I would practice and drive around the house, making sure there wasn't anyone that I could accidentally hit and kill, and I would do it until I finally built the guts to go on the highway. Unfortunately, I got lost and had to stop at a gas station to ask my way back home. But I did it.

Now, almost seven months later and my ability to drive fully developed, Harry screams and complains at everything I do. If I brake to fast, he grips my thigh and hisses loudly, a snarl plastered on his face. If I drive too fast, he grabs my forearm and motions for me to slow down, and then throws his head back against the headrest and pushes the palms of his hands on his face. And if I dare to cut and pass someone, which I've learned to do as less as possible if I don't want to be Harry's first victim, I get a few curses and a reminder to watch out for my blind spotat least three times before speeding. Why three times? I don't dare to ask.

The rise of Dexter Styles. I chuckle to myself at the thought, earning a glare from Harry.

Though I do drive carefully, I enjoy a little bit of speed especially on the empty countryside roads where the speed limit is high and the population is inexistent. Harry has his eyes shut every time I catch a quick glance at him, as if he doesn't dare to look at the meter on the dashboard or at the trees passing by. He sighs a few times and I giggle, but once in a while it gets unbearable how worried he constantly is.

"Slower, Elena. God damn it," he hisses, his fingers dipping into the skin of my forearm. "You're never going to learn, are you?"

I lower my eyes to the dashboard, where it indicates that I'm only driving at fifty miles per hour, on the highway. But I stay quiet and slow down a little bit more so he can relax in his seat and remove his hand from me.

With Alfie being in Manchester at the moment, I've thought of spending an entire day with him during the holidays, but I'd told Harry that Alfie would be on a trip with his family. At least it's not a matter of life or death, since from the few messages I've received only this morning, Alfie seems to be enjoying his vacation back home. His dad has finally accepted the fact that he wouldn't be having grandchildren anytime soon.

My time is up and we switch places, and Harry settles comfortably on the driver's side while I take his place on the left. He fixes the mirrors with an annoyed sigh, backs up the seat while giving me a furious glare and opens the window a little bit because the windows are getting foggy. Once we merge on the highway, he reaches seventy miles per hour, and he doesn't hear me complaining even though I highly wish he would slow down.

I almost tell him to slow down but decide against it when I we pass through a small town and drive by a graveyard. This is where I'm going to spend the holidays if I say anything, I sigh.

At one point during the drive, I rest my head against the window, and while I drift in and out of a quiet slumber, he mind absently reaches his hand over the console and brushes his fingers against mine. The first thing I notice is how cold his fingers are, how rough they feel against mine, but I let him, only because he's humming the song playing on the radio and he truly doesn't seem to realize what he's doing. His face is calm and wrinkle free from being not so worried for once, and it's confirmed that he's not paying attention when he abruptly stops and quickly removes his hand from mine, coughing and choking at the same time.