Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The night was long and sleepless. I could hear the TV playing in the living room, the volume lower than it normally would've been, but I could still hear it. I could hear Harry's footsteps as he wandered around the house, to the kitchen, back to the living room, and then upstairs to the room next door. I could hear the shower running, then his low, husky voice as he spoke on the phone.

But I also heard him when he left the room and opened the door to mine. I cracked an eye open as I faced the other way, but I didn't make a sound. I kept my breathing as even as possible even though I was almost choking from anxiety. Harry stayed by the doorway, his head soundly dropping against the frame as he opened the door further. I could tell he had his arms crossed, just from usual habits, but I could've killed to turn around and verify it myself.

I just wanted to see the way his tattooed arm curved, flexing his bicep as he leaned on the same shoulder. I wanted to see his feet crossed, one sitting on the tiptoes while the other one sat straight. I wanted to see his serious expression, green orbs wide in concentration with a short curl falling on his forehead. He would eventually push it back and run a hand through his hair to keep all the curls from falling forwards. Then he would stretch and scratch the back of his neck.

I remember every single one of his habits, expressions and actions. Everything about him is forever graved into my memory, and while I pretended to sleep, I could've done anything to watch him do those in order.

Then with a sigh, I heard him straighten up on his feet, the shifting of his weight making the old house flooring crack, and he closed the door almost soundlessly. From the lack of sleep and the moon in the sky that I could see through the shades, I knew it was about three in the morning when he left. After that, I slept like a baby until I had to leave for school.

"I think you and I need to have a serious conversation."

This is how Alfie greets me at the break after I arrived to class late this morning, therefore not having time to talk to him until now. "What about?"

He raises an eyebrow. "Oh, darling. I think you know exactly what you and I need to talk about. And I think you're just making up excuses to avoid the subject. Am I right, or am I right?"

Students start to leave the class for the fifteen minute break, but Alfie and I stay in our seats until the course starts again, just like we usually do. Ever since he stopped smoking at the beginning of the semester, staying in class during the break has helped him fight the urge to smoke. He's officially two and a half months smoke-free.

"Elena," he snaps his fingers in front of my face. "Are you even listening to me?"

"I'm sorry, Alf." I really am sorry, but my thoughts keep running away. For some reason, I almost expect to see Harry walking through those doors. I imagine him waiting for me after class against the wall, blending in with the other students even if he completely stands out. I often wish that he had been just a student in class with me, either back in LA or now in London, and that we'd have met at random, gone on a few dates and hooked up later. All those guys in class have nothing on him.

There is one man that stood out on the first week of class. He happens to be in three of my classes, and after seeing him on the first two days, he came to me on the third and sat on my left side while Alfie sat on my right. Darren. Beautiful blue eyes and blond hair, he was absolutely gorgeous. He still is, as I look at him sitting on the front row, his arm stretched on the back of his girlfriend's chair. We talked and shared little notes for that whole third day, and for the next week. But when he asked me on a date, I choked and declined. I still wasn't ready to open up to a guy and to let my feelings for the man I wasn't expected to ever see again go. Unfortunately, after that day, the only words we shared were hellos and goodbyes, but even that only lasted for the following week or so. Alfie and I found ourselves back alone again, just like how we liked it.