Chapter twenty nine

Oh god! Oh god! Oh fuck! I stare at Jace on his knees holding the biggest diamond I have ever seen, I swallow hard.
Marry Jace?!
This house was more shock than I could handle, who buys someone a house after a week?
But this?
Marriage and a house and a family?
I can't breathe, I can't breathe.
Oh fuck Jace is fading from my vision and I sway on my feet.
"Beth?" Jace asks but he sounds so far away.
"Jay" I say but I don't hear my voice.

"C'mon Angel, don't leave me hanging please" I feel Jace's hands on my face.
"Jace?" I reach out and hold him clutching to his chest.
"Oh honey, you okay?" He kisses my face everywhere.
"Maybe, did I just faint?" I ask
"Yeah angel"
"Did you just buy us a house?" I ask.
"Yeah Angel"
"Did you just ask me to marry you?" I ask
"Yeah Angel I did"
"Did I answer?" I ask.
"No yet, I'm kinda just losing my mind here. No hurry beautiful" he chuckles and I open my eyes.
I'm laying in Jace's arms, on the floor and his eyes are concerned and excited at once. I look around the room and shake my head.
"I love it, I love you. Oh god I love you so much" I tell him.
"Then say yes, tell me you're mine" he presses his lips to my forehead.
"Jace, when did you buy the ring? When did you know you wanted to marry me?" I ask.
"Does it matter? I'm sure about this, I'm sure about us Angel. I want to spend my life with you" he says nervous.
"It matters to me, please Jace"
"Last Monday, I left your place, dropped off your laundry and bought your ring. I was on the phone to you while I picked it out" he smiles and I nod.
Before the baby. That's good, I don't want a sorry I knocked you up, here's a ring kinda thing.
Oh God before the sex!
Someone as sex driven as Jace wanted to marry me before he had got me in the sheets?
"When did you buy the house?"
"I put in an offer Wednesday, got the keys Thursday. I don't care if this is too fast, it doesn't feel too fast to me, it's not fast enough. Beth I would marry you tomorrow, but if you need time you can have it"
"You know I was joking right? When I told you to buy me a house" I hide my face in his neck, I can't believe this.
"It was meant to be, fate I guess. I was out the back in the gym when you sent that message, as I left I ran into the realtor. This house wasn't on the market yet but I knew I needed to buy it, there would never be a more perfect house for us. C'mon let me give you the tour" he pulls me to my feet excited.
"Okay" I shake my head.
"Angel is that a yes or a no?" He chuckles.
"It's a lets go" I laugh.
Jace kisses my hand and leads me down the hall showing me three bedrooms and a bathroom, then the kitchen.
"Don't even look at the kitchen sweetie, none of it is staying. I'm putting in a whole new kitchen and taking out these walls to keep it open. You get to choose everything, the colours, the appliances, the bench tops. The bathrooms too, this place needs some work, it hasn't been treated right but I'm willing to put in the hard work. I will make this your dream home, we can be happy here" he holds me tight from behind as I stare out the kitchen window into the back yard and the pool.
His words mean more to me than he probably meant. I wasn't treated right either, he wants to put in the hard work for me.
Jace leads me up the staircase, two bedrooms each with their own full bathrooms and a shared living space. Then we head down to the basement.
"Aside from the kitchen this is where I want to start the work, I want to make this our space. I can see it all Beth, our whole life. I can make you so happy and when I don't Izzy is just next door to kick my ass for you, our family is right next door" he is trying to convince me.
"It's sounds perfect Jace, all of it. When can we move in?" I ask and he lifts me off my feet, kissing me hard.
"Oh Angel, soon I promise. I will spend every spare minute working to get this done for you, once the kitchen is done and at least one bathroom we can move in" he tells me and he is so happy.
"Jace I'm not saying no to marrying you, I'm pretty sure I'm saying yes but I just need a bit of time for that to sink in. Is that okay? I love you so much, but I just need a minute to accept that someone could love me like that, like you do" I tell him and I feel so bad, I want to say yes, I should just say yes.
"You're not saying no?" He asks pleading.
"No, it's definitely not a no" I breathe.
"It's a maybe yes?" He rests his forehead on mine and I nod.
"Yes" I whisper.
"Yes to the maybe yes or the big question?" He asks now.
"Yes, maybe yes" I laugh.
"Do you want to see the ring again?"
"Do I?" I ask, I'm not sure I want to pass out again.
"I got you Beth, I won't let you go" he tells me leaning me into his side and reaching into his pocket.
"This is so unexpected Jace, you have totally thrown me. I thought maybe the surprise was that you were taking me bowling or something, not making me a housewife with a house and a ring and everything" I babble not looking down at his hands but hiding into his neck.
"I hate bowling, the thought of wearing someone else's sweaty shoes. No thanks" he chuckles and kisses my hair. "I love you Elizabeth, with all my heart I love you" he whispers.
Jace takes my left hand and I feel the cold band slide over my shaking finger, oh god he's putting it on not just opening the box.
"It's a perfect fit, just like us. Just like this house" he tells me.
I still can't look but I do come out of hiding to reach up and kiss him, his lips are soft and warm and patient as I kiss him slowly. I press my body into his and my leg comes up to wrap around his, I can't get close enough. My hands cup his face and I kiss him deeper, our tongues dancing slowly and my heart beats fast.
This man I love so much wants to marry me, this man that has given me a child has given me a ring. Oh god, I can feel the tears running down my face but I don't stop kissing him. I don't ever want to stop kissing him. I can feel the ring on my finger on Jace's face just inches from my eyes but I hold them shut, I'm not ready to see. If I see I won't want to take it off and if I don't take it off I will have to say yes, I want to say yes but I can't, not yet.