Chapter 38

Chapter 38

The pulsing bass shook the fraternity. Everywhere around me, people grinded and swayed to the music. The whole place smelled of sweat and alcohol and too much cologne. I sighed as I leaned back against the wall next to the fraternity's multiple awards. Top fraternity on campus- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. I glanced down at my engagement ring, which glittered in the multi-color lights. I smiled at the memory of my engagement. Joshua and I, kissing and sleeping the night away. It was a beautiful ray of sunshine in a dark place of sadness.

"You okay, babe?" I heard a familiar voice in my ear.

Whirling around, I saw my fiancé. I smiled, wrapping my arms around his neck as he leaned in and kissed me softly. I felt the cold silver chain around his neck, which held his wedding band. He had his ring tucked under his shirt, hidden. When we returned, all my sorority sisters asked about my ring. For lack of a better excuse, I told them it was an heirloom of my grandmother's. Except Amber. I told her about my engagement and she went completely fangirl mode on me.

"Now I am." I said as he pulled away slightly, gazing down at my face with complete love.

I chuckled, pressing my forehead against his. He held me close, ignoring the party roaring around us. The look in his eyes clearly showed that he was ready to take me to his bedroom and keep me to himself all night. I can happily agree with that idea. Suddenly, a voice cut into our little embrace.

"Josh! Come on, dude, we're going to go play some football!"

Joshua glanced over his shoulder at the source of the voice. A pretty hot guy (what? Just because I'm engaged doesn't mean I can't deem a guy hot or not) with close-cropped dark blonde hair stood by the door, a football in one hand and a girl in a short (VERY short) dress on his other arm. Joshua nodded.

"Be there in a sec, Luke!" he called back, over the party.

Luke nodded and dragged his girl out the front door. I smiled. Joshua turned around one more time, pressing another thorough kiss to my lips.

"Come on. Let's go. Watch your husband kick some frat boy ass."

I chuckled. Joshua let go of my waist, grabbed my hand, and brought me outside to the still busy courtyard between the fraternities and sororities.

"Oh My God, he's SO gorgeous!"

I glared at the girl, half drunk, who was watching Joshua with puppy dog eyes. In the field, lit by the lights from the fraternities and sororities, was a bunch of guys. Shirtless (Joshua plus shirtless equals sexy, sexy, sexy) and gleaming with sweat, the guys slammed into each other. Joshua's ring bounced against his muscular chest, a flash of silver on flesh. I smiled, winking at him whenever he met my gaze. I reclined on a blanket, clutching a can of Coca Cola. Suddenly, I was attacked by ninety eight pounds of Amber.

"And where the hell have you been, Miss Fiancée-of-the-First-Son?" she taunted, stealing my soda and taking a long swig.

I lightly punched her gut, seizing my soda with a laugh. Coke splattered everywhere on the blanket as she spit out whatever was in her mouth and erupted in laughter. I couldn't help but laugh harder

"If you must know, I was..."

I trailed off, my grin falling. I toyed with a loose thread on my shirt, avoiding Amber's gaze. I still felt her staring at me. Should I tell her?

"What's wrong, Ember?" Amber asked, concerned.

I looked up and met my friend's gaze. She gave me a small smile.

"Nothing, it's just...the same day Joshua proposed, I found out my dad was dead."

Amber gasped.

"Oh, Ember, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

I swatted my hand aimlessly, as if to dismiss it. A light breeze blew through, setting the mid October chill. The sky was clear above us, stars twinkling like diamonds in a jewelry store display case.

"It's okay. He was needed in heaven, I guess." I said, shrugging.

Amber clapped my shoulder, wrapping me in a tight hug. I hugged my friend back, thankful for her concern and comfort. What are friends for anyway?

"If you need anything, just let me know." Amber said, pulling away.

I smiled at her.

"Thanks, Amb."

Everyone needs good friends. The only true friend I've ever had was my friend Hayley. And she hasn't been in touch since we were fifteen. All I need now are Amber, Joshua, and Ariana.

(Sorry for the boring chapter/any spelling or grammar errors. Typed this on my iPod. Vote and comment! bye!)