Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"I don't want to be her."

Behind me, Joshua shifted. His arm tightened around me.

"What did you say, sweetheart?"

I sighed, twisting in his arms to face him. I saw the shadows on his face from the window. Moonlight poured in through the blinds. For the first time in a long while, I slept in my room at Addy and Garret's house. My childhood home.

"I don't want to be Addy. Losing my fiancé."

Joshua exhaled, stroking the curve of my waist with his hand. Chills ran through me. I can't lose him.

"You'll never lose me, Ember."

I smiled, chuckling and pressing my forehead against his. Joshua pressed his smirk against mine, rolling on top of me. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"And how are you so sure that you're going to be my fiancé?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows.

Joshua froze. I watched his face, love turning to concern.

"Joshua, what-"

Suddenly, he rolled off of me and shoved the covers aside. I raised an eyebrow, turning on the lamp on my nightstand. My room was just how I remembered it. Still set up for a seventeen year old girl. Joshua ran his hands through his shiny black hair, the shorts tufts sticking up like a hedge.

"Ember, I...well, um..."

He sighed, wringing his hands nervously. I sat up.

"Babe, what's going on?" I asked.

Joshua turned back around to face me. In his right hand was a small black velvet covered box. He slowly walked over to me, getting down on one knee besides my bed. I gasped as he opened the box to reveal a solitary emerald cut diamond ring.

"Ember, I know the age for Nephilim marriage is early. I can't wait any longer to ask you this, especially after today. Seeing Addy the way she is brought me to...well...God, this is embarrassing."

I smiled, giggling like, well, a sorority girl.

"Ember Rhinehart, I love you. I have loved you since the moment I laid eyes on you. I don't want to lose you without expressing how much I love you. I want you for the rest of my life. Ember, will you marry me?"

I didn't hesitate. I nodded, tears pooling in my eyes. I let him slip the ring onto my finger before attacking him with a hug. Joshua rolled, yet again, on top of me. I grasped the back of his head, kissing him feverishly.

"I love you so much." he said before I drifted off to sleep.

(By now, you guys are probably thinking WHAAAAAT! ASDFGHJKL! Vote and comment! I'd really like to know what you think! Btw, sorry for any mistakes. Typed this on my aunt's iPad.)