Chapter 36: Without her

Start from the beginning

-You could say so. You've improved your surfing skills incredibly. Nice job sis, I smiled to her and gave her high five.

-Thank you. I do have an amazing teacher, she giggled looking at me.

-I don't think you'll learn anything else from me, I said pushing away a few strands of blondish hair off her face.

-That doesn't mean you'll stop trying to teach me, she mocked me and I grinned knowing she spoke the truth.

-You know me.

I had reclined over the sand wanting to enjoy the beautiful sun but my sister had other plans for me. All of the sudden I felt a rain of wet sand all over my face, making me squirm to get it out. Once I made sure it wouldn't get into my eyes (can't say the same about my ears thought) I opened them to see the dark silhouette of my sister smirking at me.

-Oh is that so? Let's see how tough you are, I said and before she could blink she was on the ground with me, trying to break free.

As people stared at us curiously, we abstracted ourselves from the outside world where there was people reproving what we were doing, lawyers, mom, work... everything was out of our little bubble and for a while it stood there until my sister claimed for mercy. She actually got me good with a few locks Joe most likely taught her, but in the end I was bigger, stronger and more experienced than her.

-You so not played fair. In a ring I'd take you down, she said trying to get the sand off... well everywhere.

-Aw did I mess with your pretty hair a bit?, I giggled shaking her hair to take the sand off.

-Stop iiiit! Or I swear I'll make you cry like I did with the other boy yesterday, she frowned at me threateningly although her lips were still curved in a cheeky smile.

-I'd probably lose my job if I got beaten by a little girl. Is that what you want for your poor brother? To lose his job and be called a sissy?, I joked with her wrapping my arms around her small framed body.

-Nooo, I don't. But Joe says that size and gender don't matter, she laughed with me when I tickled her sides a bit.

-He's mostly right. There are some girls in the Navy that can kick ass, I smiled at her.

-Is Cath among them?, she asked posing her curious eyes on me.

-Well yeah. She and I were the best in the unit, I said feeling proud of me and my girlfriend.

-And can she take you?, my sister smirked teasingly at me but I huffed.

-You bet I can, I heard the angelic voice of my girl behind us.

-Doing some extra spy job there?, I smiled looking at her as she seated with us on the sand.

-It's all coincidence I swear. How's the water Jill?, she asked my sister who all of the sudden turned slightly shyer.

-It was good, she spoke sheepishly while scooting closer to me.

-Don't you have something to tell Cath babe?, I prompted her nicely as she looked at me with guilt. After swallowing a couple times she spoke up.

-I'm sorry that I yelled at you that day Cath, and I'm sorry that I ran off, she offered to my girlfriend who immediately went to hug her.

-Oh honey it's ok. I know this must be a terrible time for you but we'll do everything we can. You have me, you know that, she said and Jill smiled back accepting the hug and even returning it.

Fortunately Cath stuck around for a while and my sister decided to go back to her surfing. Looking at how immensely happy she was made me think that only a fool would try to part her from the sea. I really hoped mom would come back to her senses during this time she was at work.