Chapter 13- Don't push me...

Start from the beginning

I can’t believe he’s still here!

Preparing for some resistance- or perhaps a lot of resistance from my sister, I signaled to Carlisle to come to the front door and whispered to Esme to stay with Jacob. Jacob watched us leave and wondered where we were going. He wasn’t distracted for long because seconds later he resumed eating his dinner. I heard him tell Esme with his mouth full: “This is so good,” as Carlisle and I stepped outside and closed the door behind us. I felt like we were performing an intervention, but really we just wanted to keep the peace within our home until Jacob left the following morning.

“Welcome home Rosalie, Emmett,” Carlisle said courteously as he did his best to look happy to see them, which of course he was, but given the situation their arrival was not entirely welcome.

“Ha!” Rose snorted.  “Doesn’t look like it,” she hissed, staring at me. “What’s he still doing here, Edward?” she demanded.

“Jacob is here by my request, but he has recovered nicely. If he can keep down the dinner Esme made him, he will be free to leave tomorrow morning,” Carlisle explained.

“He’s been sick?” Emmett asked. My brother thought it would have been amusing but also a little disgusting to witness Jacob vomiting- he was sorry he missed it. Of course, Rosalie had a completely different attitude.

“Why can’t he just vomit at home?” she asked scathingly.

Carlisle stuck his arm out in front of me to prevent me from physically lashing out at Rosalie- there was no end to her high-mindedness.

“Jacob’s body was trying to rid itself of the venom,” Carlisle said patiently, in a tone that almost annoyed me. I knew he was feeling anger and frustration like I was. “We wanted to monitor how his body was reacting to it and vomiting was one such way,” Carlisle paused, looking seriously between Emmett and Rosalie, the latter’s nose was turned up in arrogance and incredulity, but she knew that what Carlisle was about to say was not to be disobeyed.

“Jacob has been through a lot whilst you have been away. He will be leaving tomorrow morning. If you feel you can remain civil then you may come in, but if not, then perhaps you should return tomorrow when Jacob has returned to his home.”

Emmett didn’t mind either way- he was all for hunting down another bear and spending another night alone with Rosalie. I instantly pushed his thoughts out of my mind not wanting to see another rendition of a sexcapade of theirs, and focused on Rosalie. As I expected, she was livid.

“I live here!” she shrieked. “His presence here should not influence my plans!”

“They don’t have to,” Carlisle reasoned with her. “Remain civil and you may come in.”

“How can I be civil to someone who makes our entire house reek? It’s putrid! Once you realised the venom would not have killed him you should have taken him home- then he wouldn’t be intruding on all our lives!”

“Leave,” I hissed at Rosalie through my teeth.

Rosalie laughed, and her thoughts only made me more furious.

“Well, well, well I never would have thought I would see the day that Edward Cullen would turn his back on his family to defend a werewolf,” she taunted me, her eyes wide in mock shock. I had just about enough of her arrogance.

“If you cannot stand losing a few more hours of your much needed contentment- if you insist on destroying the relationship we have formed with him- then you are no family of mine!”