Twelve

Amber's point of view

It was hard to believe that a few days ago my son turned twelve, but unlike most children his age he hadn't had a party. It's not because we couldn't afford one, I would have found the money somehow. It was because Luke doesn't really have many friends. This saddened me but I suppose there isn't much we can do about it. Any friends he did have he lost contact with when he was kicked out of his previous schools, that and the fact that he is usually either being bullied or protecting the other kids from the bullies are the reasons why he doesn't really have any friends.

Things haven't been easy for us over the years. It was hard raising Luke on my own, but I did everything I could to make sure that Luke had a decent childhood even if that meant that sometimes I had to work two jobs just to support us.  Once in a while, Percy would help us but he couldn't do it very often without risking Luke realizing who he was or the other gods finding out that Percy was basically breaking their laws, or in the least bending them. I sometimes find myself thinking about Percy, even during the hardest of times I never blamed him for our situation, after all, he did what he could for us. He just wasn't able to do much.

I tried to convince Luke not to blame him either, but Luke is stubborn and he would sometimes blame Percy for leaving me, and not being there to help us. This was probably because Luke didn't know that Percy had been helping us, and Luke obviously didn't know the real reason why Percy had to leave us. Appearance wise Luke had basically ended up being a miniature version of Percy. I knew that Luke wasn't always happy about that, since he thought Percy had hurt me, and in a way he had, but I knew that Percy had no other choice. I know that soon Luke might actually be able to meet Percy.

Since Luke is twelve now I'm worried about him, because I'm guessing that he will probably have to go to the camp Percy told me about soon. Percy told me that it was usually around twelve or thirteen when demigods have to go there, and the camp had contacted me. They had said that they had sent a satyr to Luke's school and that the Satyr was now watching him. A few days before his birthday Luke had come home wearing a ring that I hadn't seen before. When I asked him where he had gotten it he told me that a man with black hair and sea green eyes had given it to him. he told me that when he had tried to refuse the ring the man had insisted.

When he said that I had suspected that the man was either Percy disguising himself or someone else that Percy trusted. After all, people don't just go around randomly giving twelve-year-olds rings. I also suspected that the ring wasn't just a normal ring either. I didn't really know what else the ring could be, but I suspected that it wasn't just jewelry.

The ring had also confirmed something that I had already suspected, Percy had continued to watch over us even though he hadn't done anything to help us that I knew of in a while. Hopefully, when Luke gets to meet Percy he will drop his grudge against Percy, and see what I had seen in him; a kind caring and loyal man who would have been there for us if he'd had any other choice.