Seven 35

I couldn't move fast enough. My heart was racing, as I sat in the back of the ambulance all I kept thinking was how scared I was. If anything happened to my son or Alana I wouldn't know what to do. The whole ride all I could do was assure Alana that everything would be alright, but even I didn't believe that because nothing ever went right for me. As we pulled up to the hospital I watched as the put Alana on to a stretcher and noticed she was barely able to keep her eyes opened. I tried calling my siblings again but still was getting nothing but voicemail. Why would they all turn their phones off, I know at least one of them had to have their phones on. I looked at Alana and noticed she was staring at me.

"Seven call my parents." She said just barely loud enough for me to hear her. I grabbed her phone and dialed her parents number. After talking to her parents, them telling me they'll be here as soon as possible, I decided I needed to know exactly what was going on so I grabbed the first doctor I saw.

"Excuse me but what's taking so long for my son's mom to be seen?" I asked irritated, the doctor looked at me sympathetically.

"We're about to take her back now, and get her prepped for surgery......." She started to say.

"Wait surgery?" I asked scared.

"Yes we're going to have to preform an emergency c-section." She said.

"Is........ is the baby okay?" I asked.

"Yes but we have to get him out right now." I didn't say anything else I just let her walk away. I sat down in a chair and felt completely hopeless. Thirty minutes went by and I heard somebody say my name I looked up and Zaire and Tion were standing there. Instantly I felt like crying, but I didn't I didn't want them to think I couldn't handle it.

"What are ya'll doing here and where's everybody else?" I asked trying to keep my voice steady.

"Zakiya called us and everybody should all be on there way and should be here in a minute, so what's going on?" Zaire asked.

"She's in surgery right now, they wouldn't let me back there." I said. Tion looked at me and could tell I was fighting a losing battle.

"Seven come with me out to the car." Tion said.

"T, I can't leave I have to be here." I said not wanting to talk to him.

"Look it'll take five minutes besides Zaire will be here, now lets go." Tion said. I didn't have the strength to argue so I got up and followed Tion. We got outside and I already knew what was coming. "Seven I'm so sorry, I should've never left my phone in the car."

"It's okay Tion, everything is going to be fine." I said but I don't know who I was trying to convince him or me.

"Seven it's coo to be worried, I mean we all are worried. You don't have to be tough all the .........." Tion said.

"I'm fine Tion now if you're done talking to me like I'm a kid I would like to go check on Alana." I said getting pissed.

"Aight Seven let's go back up." Tion said.

After waiting what seemed like forever, pacing around the hospital lobby, watching the sun slowly creep up the sky the doctor came out and looked at us by the look on her face I could tell whatever she was about to say wasn't good news.

"Mr. Hayes if I could talk to you for a moment." She said walking a little way down the hall. I got up and followed her. "Mr. Hayes before I start I would like to tell you your son is doing just fine and you'll be able to see him in a moment." I let out a sigh of relief, but if my son was alright then that meant.......

"How's Alana doing?" I asked in a broken whisper.

"We lost her......... we tried to bring her back but were ultimately unsuccessful................." Everything she said after that was completely lost. I couldn't breathe my heart started pounding out my chest, before I knew it I was crying and the doctor was holding me as I cried.............

The next morning was probably the hardest I've ever experienced. When Alana's parents got there I had explain to them that their only child was dead. Mr. Brooks, Alana's father took it better than expected, but Mrs. Brooks well her pain was beyond words.

"Seven, how are you holding up?" Mr. Brooks asked me, which threw me off guard. I should be seeing if he was alright.

"I'm good, how are you doing?" I asked.

"I'll be fine." He said, but I could tell he was lying. "He looks just like you, well expect around the eyes he has Alana's eyes." Mr. Brooks said as we looked at my son.

"Yeah he does." Was all I could manage.

"Have you decided on a name?" He asked.

"Well Alana was convinced we were going to name him Ala'ven Lee Hayes so I guess I'm going to honor her wishes even though I don't like it." I said trying to smile.

"Seven there is something else I wanted to talk to you about. Look being a single parent is hard on anybody but, being a single parent in college is a lot harder. If you wanted me and my wife would keep Ala'ven until you finished school." I didn't understand the question at first then it clicked.

"Mr. Brooks are you asking me to give up my son?" I said quietly.

"No, I just want what's best for my grandson and right now with you being in college and a football player, there's no possible way for you to take care of a baby." He said. I couldn't believe what he was saying for some reason he reminded me of Tyson's dad.

"Why don't you give him some time to think about it." A voice said from behind me. I turned and saw my dad standing there, for like the fifth time in two hours I broken down and cried. Alana's dad didn't say anything he just walked away. My dad walked over to me and let me cry again. "Never be ashamed to cry Seven." He said and I found comfort in that.

I stayed at the hospital for another two day before I was forced out by Tion, Dallas, and Zaire. I really didn't want to go home but they kinda made a good point.

"Baby Bro go home you'e been up for damn near 48 hours. Go home shower and sleep, Ala'ven will still be here when you get back." Tion said.

"I've took a few naps here and there." I said weakly.

"Whatever Seven, Izayah will be here to take you home in a few so get ready." Dallas said.

"Look if I'm going home then I'm going on my own I don't need a babysitter. So one of ya'll give me your keys and I'll be back as soon as possible." I said they all looked at each other and decided not to argue. Zaire tossed me his keys and looked at me.

"Call me as soon as you get home, and I'll tell you when you can come back." Zaire said, I looked at my son one last time before leaving and I swear ever step I took away from him was like a physical blow to my heart.

TYSON

My heart had decided, now it was time to put everything out there on the line. I took a shower and started to get ready, my parents were gone so I had the house to myself. I was almost ready when the door bell rang, I ran downstairs to open it and did a quick check in the mirror. I opened the door and my heart started racing.

"Hey Tyson.........................."