Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Forty-One

I opened my eyes as two strong arms tightened their grip on my waist.

"Good morning," Alex whispered in my ear huskily.

I instantly smiled. Having his voice be the first thing I heard in the morning was something I would never take for granted.

"Good morning," I said back, turning my half naked body around and snuggling deep into his bare chest.

"Sleep well?"

"Like a freaking baby."

He chuckled. "I hope I had a little something to do with it."

"Maybe just a tad."

"Aww, that's it?"

"Okay, okay. You had everything to do with it. Happy?"

"Very much so."

We lapsed into a comfortable silence, just enjoying each other's presence. The only thing I could hear was a few birds chirping and Alex's steady, rhythmic heartbeat; the latter of the two keeping me content.

"You want to go to breakfast?" Alex offered after a few minutes.

"Sure!"

"Well you should go get dressed and showered."

"Ugh," I groaned. "Right now?"

"Yes, right now."

"Fine."

As I climbed out of bed he smacked my butt.

"Hurry up!" he commanded.

"I'll take my time if I want to." As I turned around I expertly tripped over my prom dress.

Alex howled with laughter.

"Oh shut up!" I yelled at him. "Stupid dress," I muttered as I picked myself up off the floor.

I could still hear him cackling as I walked into the bathroom. I showered after I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I changed into my undergarments and then stepped out the bathroom.

"Finally done laughing?" I asked Alex as I walked to my closet.

"Maybe!"

I shook my head as I quickly searched for something to wear. After a couple of minutes I finally decided on a white tank top, a pair of jeans, a black blazer, a black and white leopard print scarf, and a pair of violet suede Brian Atwood pumps.

"Are you ready?" I asked Alex as I sat down in front of my vanity. I applied a little liquid eyeliner and a quick coat of mascara.

"Ready Teddy!" he chirped cheesily.

I chuckled as I grabbed my cell phone and black leather Mullberry tote. "Sometimes I wonder..."

"You wonder what?"

I pulled the pins out my hair, my hair falling from the meticulously curled and crafted messy bun from last night into soft waves that tumbled past my shoulders. I wrapped my arms around his neck. "I wonder what I would do without you."

"I know."

I flicked his nose. "I believe you're supposed to say something along the lines of 'you too'."

"No, I don't think so."

I slapped him lightly on the arm. "You jerk."

"Okay, fine." He gave me a soft kiss. "I wonder what I would do without you, too."