Chapter Eight - Let the Games Begin

"Welcome to the first annual Game of the Universes!" announced Cassius Offerman.

Katniss Everdeen trespassed a world she already grew hatred of. The forest, the cornucopia, the clear sky, everything linked to a memory, from Rue's death to threatening the Capitol with nightlock berries. 

President Snow whispered, Here's where you should have died.

Sharing a pedestal with Peeta, she makes the countdown. Twelve pods circle the cornucopia that was filled to the brim with useful survival tools. Less than a minute left, she will discharge into the woods, an order she has disobeyed before. Katniss could see a bow and a quiver of arrows, teasing her to dart forward and snatch it. Peeta clenches her jacket as though reading her thoughts.

"Summoning Charm," Hermione shivered. "Do you think it's c-close enough?"

Harry knew what she meant. Wands. Dozens of them on a rack close to the golden cornucopia. If he could secure it and find a backpack before hell breaks lose...

"The Ring," Frodo Baggins of District Middle Earth said, mesmerized.

His partner Éowyn knitted her brow. "Impossible. How could they have managed to steal it from the lava of Mordor? You destroyed it."

Frodo shook his head but his gaze never faltered. Glued to the golden ring, he shuddered, "It can't be..." 

Half past, Leia Skywalker readied to bolt inside the cornucopia. With the allegiance undergo, fear could not find her. The strongest competitors were on her side. She looked at her brother, Luke, who did not anticipate nor notice the countdown was reaching to zero. He stared off into the trees.

"Wrong way, Luke," she informed. His eyes filled horror.

"We can't stay here," Luke said abruptly. 

Leia lost her focus. "Says who?"

He seized her arm. "Obi-Wan."

There wasn't time to breathe, time to react as the alarm signaled liberation. Immediately tributes leaped off their pods and looted whatever was close to them. Blinded by adrenaline, Katniss launched for the bow. 

"What are you doing?" Peeta screamed. 

The moment she touched the bow Katniss claimed an arrow. Other tributes ran aimlessly in a chaotic struggle to find a weapon and head for the woods. Once she stretched the bowstring she looked for a target. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see a sword lying alone.

"I'll cover you," she said, nodding to the sheathed blade. 

Hermione outstretched her arm. "Accio!"

In seconds her hand clasped onto a wand. She turned around to grab Harry's hand and apparate out of there, but she let out a shriek. Harry sprawled on the field, holding nothing but an arrow protruding from under his ribs.

Hermione found his attacker. The girl sporting a curious pin hurtled a second arrow in her direction.

"Protego!" she shouted. Like a sword Hermione parried the blow, sending it to her feet. Swishing through the air, Hermione fired a wordless incantation. Peeta Mellark, struck with the spell, froze like an ice sculpture and tumbled to the grass beside Katniss. Hermione took Harry's hand gently and disapparated, leaving nothing behind but a trail of blood. 

Katniss stole a glance. His final movements solidified, Peeta was stiff as a board, gazing into the sky. As the fight around them continued, the muffled cannon didn't reach Katniss's ears. He was gone. Out of her life forever. She tucked the sword under her arm and vanished into the trees.