Chapter Twenty-Eight

Alyssa Dan Valdez

The wind blew the surface of the earth. Dust from the ground were dancing with the air. I covered my face with my bare hands once I got out from my car. Then once my feet hit the ground I started to run as fast as I could.

I breathed one last time, making my fast breathing to calm down. I stared at the clock above the main office. 8:50 it reads. I scratched the back of my head and walked towards the small hole of the office.

"Alyssa Dan Valdez." The secretary called my name with disappointment on her voice. She shook her head, "you're late again." She said.

"Same reason! I stayed up late to finish my art project." I lied.

"For three days?" She raised an eye brow.

I opened my mouth but shut it again. My hands were sweating as I prayed for her to give me the admit slip, really quick. It was Wednesday morning, the 3rd week since Dennise and me stopped talking to each other. For some unknown reason.

"May I have the admit slip now?" I bit my lip.

She looked up again, then she whispered about me lying, she signed the admit slip before handing it to me through the small hole. I said a small thank you which she returned with a sarcastic smile.

I walked through the cafeteria, chaplain and councillor's room before reaching Dennise's office. I frowned at the door, stared at it before knocking and sprinting off. I thought I was far enough for her not to see me but then my heart stopped when I saw her standing on my first period's door.

"There she is!" The teacher said pointing on my direction.

Dennise turned and I gave her a fake smile when she locked eyes on me. "Thank you." She politely mouthed to the teacher before closing the door behind her.

"Hi! Morning!" I cheerfully greeted as if my heart were beating normally. The admit slip slipped on my sweaty palm. Then there was a long silence between us when I picked up the paper really quick. I wiped my wet hands on my pants. "I... I... Im kind... Of."

"Late." She finished my words for me. I nodded, "is it a good news for me or a bad news?" Her firm and serious voice sends shivers to my spine.

I gulped, "oh! Both?" I tried to joke. But I know it wasn't a joke. I laughed anyways. "I stayed up late, that's why im late."

"3 days straight."-Dennise

I looked down on my feet. "I know." I murmured.

"Do you know what that means?" She asked.

"I know... Have a mini talk with the president." I grinned as if it's okay. I walked closer involuntarily as if my feet had their own minds. She stepped closer too and gave me a peck on the lips before hugging me. I smiled.

"Stop smiling. I will kick your ass when you do this again!" She said half annoyed. "You're being childish."

"At least not being stupid like Ara." I answered wrapping my arms around her. I carried her slightly making the latter sighed. The hallway was quiet as we murmured Iloveyous to each other before parting away.

As Dennise disappeared on the hallway it's the time our teacher called my name from inside the room. I bit my lip and tried to stop myself from smiling. Before I opened the door I jumped and fist the air. Finally! After three weeks, she kissed me.

"Para-paraan?" Maria whispered after I sat next to her. I showed her a warning note.

"Isn't it great?"

She rolled her eyes, "nope. Kung ako sayo? I would wait until she'll talk to me without forcing herself."

"But it's a brilliant idea! Look, kakausapin na niya ako."