Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

               It took me a while to get it. I rolled my eyes at him and kissed his neck.

                "By the way, we're going to my mom's next week," I told him.

               "Why?"

               "Because I love you and she needs to meet you."

               He opened his mouth to speak, when he did I dipped my tongue inside of it and laughed into his mouth. 

               "Fine, but if it gets awkward..." He gave me a threatening look.

               "It won't. You'll love my mom, I promise."

               "Okay," He leaned harder against me, which made the hairs on my arm bristle.

               "You smell like books."

               He snickered. "You smell like alcohol - wait, you smell like alcohol? Have you been drinking?"

               "I was drinking with the boys, there was a fight last night," I shrugged.

               "A fight? Another?"

               "No, I mean on T.V."

               "Oh, right," He laid on his back and looked up at my ceiling.

               "What are you thinking about?" I asked him, wondering since he looked like he was in deep thought.

               "I'm moving out of here," He said without looking at me.

               Nerves suddenly rushed through my body as I sat up. "What do you mean you're moving out of here?"

               "I got my paycheck and I'm not staying another week in this shit hole," He still didn't look at me.

               "But...why?" I said, broken.

               "I just don't like living here, surrounded by so many people. It makes my insecurities shoot out the roof."

               "But then we won't see each other as much," I pointed out.

               "Of course we will. You can even stay with me if you want."

               "You want me to move in with you?"

               "Only if you want," He finally turned his face to look at me.

               I opened my mouth but I couldn't speak. I felt like I was shot in the chest. 

               "I can't..." Was all I could say.

               He sat up, this time looking at me straight in the eyes.

               "Why not? You don't have to pay for anything, my cousin will be paying for most of my rent until I get a job."

               My mouth felt numb right now. "A job too? Rayne..."

               "What? What's wrong?"

               "You're going to move out, you're going to get a job," I repeated, as I stared at him disbelievingly, "while you go to school, and do school things and internships. What about us? There won't be anytime for us."

               "Of course there will!" He said defensively, his jaw clenching.

               I waited for him to say something but that's all he could say.