Popular (3) (Leah and Chance)

They could never stop picking out the flaws in me. I couldn't take it any more. Just as I was about to leave, I heard more whispering from the materialistic girls. Something about being too fat. I walked out of the school quickly, and ran to the park. It was the closest place that I could just sit alone. I climbed into the slide, which was one of those tunnel slides, that would keep me from the rain. I finally let the tears pour out of my eyes when I reached the slide, and wipe away the rain that had spit on me. The tunnel slide made my cries echo, and I tried to soften them so others wouldn't hear if they passed by, but it didn't work.

Why?
Why me?
Why was I the one that was ugly, fat, annoying, stupid, worthless.
What did I ever do to deserve the hate I get from those girls?

I began to hit myself in the head with my palms, as if trying to knock the thoughts out of my mind with no use. Instead, I felt warm, wet hands pull mine away from my head and bring them to my lap.

"Hey, hey, hey.." A warm voice soothed, "Please don't hurt yourself."

I looked up through my wet lashes and saw Chance Davidson, one of the most popular kids in school. He was a football player, had amazing features, and he was rich, so he obviously fit in with the popular crowd easily. I expected him to be snotty and rude, but the way his bright eyes twinkled with worry made me doubt my judgement.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at school?" I asked, trying to wipe my tears away quickly so he didn't have to look at them. "I could ask you the same thing, Leah." He answered, and my heart fluttered when my name rolled off his tongue smoothly. "Well I asked first." You countered, shocked he even knew my name. I was invisible to people like him. "I had to make sure you were okay, they were being really rude back there." He admitted, nudging his head in the general direction of our school. "Your turn."
"I just couldn't take it. Nobody needed to see me cry."
"You shouldn't let them get to you, you don't deserve it, honestly. Well nobody does, but still." Chance mumbled, and I smiled lightly with tight cheeks."It's harder than you make it out to be, especially when they're right." I confess, looking back down, all of my flaws swarming my mind making me snuffle a little bit. "They're most definitely not right! You are one of the most amazing, beautiful, smart, talented, kind, perfect girls ever to set foot on Earth!" Chance said, and I manage to give him a small smile in return of his kind words. "Seriously Chance, you should go, you might miss something important.. And you don't even know me, you don't have to sit here lying to me. I'll be fine." I said, not wanting him to see me like this right now. "But I want to help you." He answered stubbornly sitting down on the ground beside me. It took a moment of silence for him to speak again. "And I do know you. You just don't know me."
"You've never even talked to me before today." I state simply. "So? I've heard you talk to teachers, answer questions, I've seen what you can do, I've wanted to talk to you for ages." He said, and my heart feel warm and fuzzy. In any other circumstance I might have been scared, but he was so adorable, I couldn't manage to feel anything but awe. "Then why didn't you...?" I asked, but I already knew the answer to that. "I was just too nervous, I guess." He said, but I knew that was a lie. "You were too nervous? Who put you up to this?" I asked, my voice cracking slightly as I push myself up from the slide. "What do you mean?" He asks, rushing up from his seat and catching my forearm. "What bet did you lose? Seriously, just tell your friends you did whatever you were supposed to do, and I'll go along with it. I swear. Just leave me alone." I spat, eyes clouding from tears and a pit in my stomach formed, sending me into a heart break. I rip my arm away from his grip and run home, leaving him startled in the rain.

The next morning I walked to school with a head ache and stinging eyes. I hated this school. I begged, and begged my mom with a dry throat to let me stay home this once, but she wouldn't here of it. I got all my books and wandered the hallways slowly, avoiding everyone while making my way to class. My head hung low, and my eyes stung still, from the tears I had shed earlier. All alone. "Leah!" Somebody shouted, and my head shot up, and I bumped into a warm chest. "I swear. It wasn't a dare, or a bet. I felt really bad and I sucked it up and went after you. I don't even care what my friends say about you. Because all I know is, I really do like you. I promise I'm not joking. Before, I was scared what my friends would say if I said anything to you, but that was no reason to keep you from me. They can screw off if they have a problem with you, because you're darn perfect to me." With tears in my eyes, and smiled up at Chance. "Why are you so perfect?" I asked, and he chuckled leaning down and pressing his lips to mine, in a long awaited kiss from his side. "I'm sorry for running away yesterday..." I whispered when our lips parted. "I'm sorry I waited so long to get the courage to as you to be mine." He stated. "You haven't asked me that yet..." I say, confused. Maybe I missed it. "Be mine?" He asked, and I giggled while nodding. "See? Now I did, and now you're mine."

3 years later

We both were at the beach, it had been 5 years since the day we had met, and we were celebrating our anniversary on a beach during our March Break. I brought a blanket and a cooler full of his favourite food and drinks because we'd always wanted to have a picnic. I went into the water, dragging Chance in with me, and he punished me by splashing me with the cold ocean water. I squealed and splashed him back, and soon we were both soaked, laughing as he pulled me in for a wet kiss.

When my teeth started to chatter, Chance picked me up snuggling me to his chest to keep me warm and brought me back up to the towels. He wrapped me in one and rubbed my arms creating some friction for warmth. For the rest of the day we talked, laughed, made sand castle and houses, ate, and kissed. Finally, the sun set, and we both decided to go to the pier for some dinner. When we got to the doors, his phone started to ring so he kissed me softly before excusing himself while I found a seat.

A couple minutes later, he came back and I smiled big, causing him to chuckle at my happiness. "Hey Angel." He greeted, kissing me three times before taking a seat in front of me at the table.

"Who was that, Chance?" I asked, referring to the phone call.

"Matt, he needed help with something.." He answered, and I nodded. Matt was his best friend, even after most of his former 'friends' still made fun of me. Matt was a sweetheart, and soon he was my best friend too. We both ate dinner, and talked about our future, adding some laughs in there. I knew I wanted to be with him forever, and the way he said things, I thought maybe he did too.

As we walked out of the restaurant, the cool wind brought my hair into my face and Chance swept it away with a gentle finger kissing my forehead. "Happy Anniversary sweetheart."

"I love you." I whispered, and he smiled down at me.

"I love you too." He replied kissing my lips.

We both set off down the beach, walking along the soft sand in the dark.

Then, along the side stuck in the sand were burning candles, lighting up the sand, and presenting a trail of rose petals to us. Curious, I held on to Chance's hand tighter, and he laced our fingers together. We both set down the trail, and finally, we reached a big rose petal heart in the sand, with candles burning along the inside lining of the heart. Written in the sand was a very simple, 'Marry Me?'

I awed at the romantic gesture, not realizing Chance was the one getting down on his knee for me. When I looked at Chance, seeing him down on the sand on one knee, I squealed, tears springing to my eyes instantly.

"Mar-" He started, but was cut off by me tackling him.

I answered by kissing, and tears spilled down my cheeks. He slipped the ring on my finger, and wiped away my tears.

"Please don't cry!" He said, hushing me and petting my hair.

I laughed, more tears spilling out my eyes. "I'm just so happy!" I answered, laughing.