The Nerd (Myra and Nate)

I didn't want to be where I was. I didn't want to be around the people I was around. I didn't want to be what everyone else was. I knew I was lucky and that just about any other normal person at school would kill to be in the position I was in, but it really wasn't what it was all thought out to be. Being a so called "popular kid" did have it's perks but it wasn't worth it. Just the feeling of not being who I really was killed me. People never saw the real me. All they saw was this "product". I walked across the hallway and as usual all the eyes were on me, watching my every move. I ignored the jerky guys that were wolf whistling whilst leaning onto the lockers behind them. My phone vibrated. I took it out of my back pocket and saw that my brother sent me a text message. 'Hey. Sorry. Practice is going to be late. I can't pick you up today. Ask one of your friend's to give you a ride, k?' I sighed and texted him back. 'K'. I really didn't want to get a ride from my friends. Or at least the people that considered themselves as my friends. I sat on one of the benches next to a admittedly cute guy who looked like he was in deep thought. I shuffled through my contacts thinking about a person I could get a ride from. Absolutely no one. I huffed loudly. The boy next to me turned his head. "Uh is something wrong," he asked quietly. I looked over my shoulder and our eyes met. "Oh um no," I stammered. "It's just that my brother said that he couldn't give me a ride home from school and I can't really find anybody that can. I think I'm just going to walk." He furrowed his eyebrows and bit his lip. "Um. Well I could give you a ride home- Only if you want me too- I mean I just," he mumbled. I laughed. "Thank you so much. I'd love that," I replied. "I'll see you after school, I guess?" He nodded. As I was about to turn around I remembered that I didn't get his name. I turned back to him and blushed lightly. "Sorry to bother you, I just didn't get your name." He smiled. "Nate." I nodded. I moved the hair from my face. "I'm Myr-," he cut me off. "I know who you are."

I walked away with a small grin plastered onto my face. I felt like I had actually made a friend with someone I liked. Someone that liked me for me. I walked into class and no doubt were happiest I had probably been all week. When class ended I noticed that some of the girls that I hung out with sometimes were calling me over to them. I looked at the clock and then slowly headed over to them. "Oh my gosh Myra! Where have you been? I haven't seen you all day? I love the outfit you're wearing today! Anyways so earlier I could have swore that I saw you with that loser kid. What are you doing with him," Mackenzie blurted out. I raised an eyebrows slightly. I saw Nate walk towards me. "Look and there he is again. What's up with this My? Why are you hanging out with him?" I rolled my eyes and looked towards her. "Actually he's my-," Nate cut me off. "I'm her ride home. She's paying me to give her a ride home," he said quietly. I knitted my eyebrows together in frustration. "Wow My! Good idea. Make the nerd drive you home," she squealed. "Why didn't I think of that? You're such a genius. Come with us. We have next class together!" Mackenzie grabbed my hand and dragged me into her group. I looked back and caught a slight glimpse of Nate. He waved shyly as I was pulled away. I pursed my lips and gave a slight wave back. The girls continued to talk about how genius my idea was. "Actually guys. Nate is my friend. And I think he's really cool," I said smiling. They laughed. "You're so funny My! Smart and funny. Wow." Did they actually think that was a joke? I kept looking back at the clock that hung, waiting for the bell to ring. I couldn't wait for that moment of freedom. I tapped my fingers on my desk and the familiar sound of the school bell erupted. I smiled brightly in great appreciation and grabbed the books that laid on my desk. I put my bag over my shoulder and made my way.

I scanned the hallway looking for Nate. He was sitting on the bench in which we had met. "Hey Nate," I shouted from a far. I skipped up to him. He stood up and gave me a shy grin. "Ready?" I nodded. I followed him out the exit. Rain fell from the sky and the cold breeze filled the air. I looked over at Nate who was looked across the parking lot. "Let's make a run for it," he said. I nodded and got ready. "On 3. 1. 2. 3!" I laughed as we both ran across the lot. I felt the rain in my hair but nothing really mattered at the moment. We reached his car and we were both shivering. He unlocked the door and I hopped in along with him. I shut the door and closed my eyes thankful for the heater that he had. "I'm so happy I decided not to walk," I muttered. Nate laughed. "I'm happy you decided not to walk too," he whispered. I bit my lip. "What'd you say," I asked him. He shook his head. "Oh uh nothing," he replied his voice coming out a bit muffled. I looked out the window for a brief moment before turning towards him again. "Hey Nate. Can I ask you a question?" He nodded. "Shoot." I shifted in my seat before asking. "Back there why did you say that I was paying you to give me a ride home?" He bit his lip once again, which at this point made me think he was even more adorable. "I just- The thing is that you're amazing. You're liked. And you have so many friends. You're smart. And you're gorgeous. A girl like you shouldn't be around with a guy like me." I gave him a skeptical look. "And what kind of guy are you," I asked amused by his words. He shrugged. "Well I'm not exactly the most popular guy and I'm just not the kind of guy that you should be around. You deserve so much better." I felt a feeling of sadness come over me. "Is that really what you think?" He nodded. I took a deep breathe and looked at him. "Nate do you know what I see when I look at you? I see a caring, fun, loving, handsome, down to earth guy, that I'm so lucky to have the opportunity to be around."

He smiled. "And sure you're a little shy but that's what makes you so endearing. I love that about you and I think you're wonderful." The rain got harder and the traffic got worse. The car moved slowly until the traffic jam just got horrible and we stopped. I fiddled with my thumbs as I looked at the long line of cars in front of me. "Um hey Nate," I said as I turned my head to face him. I suddenly felt a pair of lips on mine. It caught me by surprise but I soon began to kiss back. He pulled away. "I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me." I shook my head. "Don't be. I liked it." He smiled. "Still happy you chose not to walk," he asked putting his hand in mine. "Still happy I chose not to walk," I repeated.