Protective Bullied (Larah and Colby)

I look around the market as I follow soundlessly behind my parents, who keep looking back at me every three seconds to make sure I'm still here. No I don't try and run off, I'm just mute and for some reason it makes my parents think I get lost easy or something. I don't know why, they're weird. I love them though. That's why I don't talk, I haven't since I was six. That's when my uncle first raped me. He's done it ever since, apparently it's my 'present' from him. More like a present from hell. Though I can't say anything to anyone about it. He said if I even so much as talked to a police officer he'd kill me, my parents, friends (though ironically enough I have none), and anyone who was close to me. He said he'd come for me last, so that I'd have to suffer their losses and know he was coming. So I keep quiet, afraid that if I start talking something might slip. Not even the therapist that I go to every Monday, Wednsday, and Friday can get me to talk. Oh well.

Colby's POV

I grab a bag of broccoli and throw it in the cart, I'm out shopping for my mom. The cancer makes it hard for her to do much so I offer. I just want her to get better. I walk over to grab a sack of potatoes when someone catches my eye. A girl. Not just any girl. She looked shy, withdrawn, yet she was undeniably beautiful. I don't even think she's wearing make up. "Ha! Look! The emo dork thinks he stands a chance with a hottie like that," one of the football jocks from my school shouts to his other friends who all laugh stupidly. Seriously, they sound like deranged monkeys. He's wrong anyway, I know I don't stand a chance with a girl like that. "Out shopping for your mommy? Hasn't she died yet?" That's it.
"Shut the fudge up!" I scream at him in a voice that shocks even me. It was loud and confident, two things I'm surely not. No one seems to notice as the gorilla sized jocks begin to close in on me.
"Thinking he stands a chance with girls, standing up for himself. Seems like the emo needs to be knocked down a peg," the 'leader' smirks before his fist connect with my jaw. Fudge! The others laugh before joining in.

Larah's POV

I follow my parents to the vegetables and as soon as we reach it something catches my eyes, four rather large boys are hitting something on the ground. I stand on my tiptoes and see a bit of black hair. One of the boys moves a bit and I see a boy lying on the ground in the fetal position, blood leaking slowly on to the floor around him. Rage fills me, no one deserves that! It reminds me of the 'warning' my uncle always gives me afterwards. A good beating in non-visible areas of my body. I look to my parents, they're deciding what vegetables to get. I walk over to the boys with unusually confident stride. "What are you doing?" I ask, without even thinking. They don't respond or show any sign of recognition. This only angers me further. "What are you doing?" I ask louder, more confident as I see the boy lying there, shaking. All the bullies freeze and turn to me.
"Just beating up this little punk cry-baby," the biggest one says, enunciating each of the last three words with a kick to the boy. My anger begins to burn.
"Stop it," I glare coldly and he smirks before going back to beating the boy up. I catch a glimpse of the boy's bright green eyes before he's back to trying to protect himself from any major injury. "STOP IT!!!" I scream as loud as I can, causing everyone to turn and look at the scene. Cries, gasps, and screams are heard around us as they notice what's going on.
"I'm calling the police!" a woman yells and the four boys exchange one glance before running off. The boy is crumpled on the ground, sobbing and bleeding. I kneel down beside him and gently move his hands from his face. Those eyes lock with mine and for some reason I feel the need to say something, anything.
"I'm Larah Renolds," I say quietly.
"C-Colby R-Ril-ley," he stutters before groaning in pain. I watch as blood begins to pool faster, as if his body's giving up on any hope of living.
"You'll be okay, I promise," I whisper in to his ear. He smiles painfully and my heart snaps, he looks so broken.
"You truly are an angel," the boy mutters before his eyes close and his body goes limp. Tears prick my eyes and I try to blink them away, but it's no use. They leave paths down my cheeks and more follow, dripping softly onto my jeans.
"Over here!" a man yells and paramedics come around the corner. They lift him onto the gurney and run outside. One of the police begin to question me.
"Did you know him?" he asks and I shake my head no.
"He said his name was Colby Riley," I whisper. The man writes it down and looks back up.
"Do you know the people who did this?" Again I shake my head no.
"They were four boys, big, ape looking. Football players," I say and he nods, writing it down. I don't want to talk anymore. I don't want to.
"Can you come in for questioning?" he asks. I shake my head no. "Why not?" he asks.
"I can't. No," I say, my voice getting quieter before dying out. Tears leak from my eyes again and I try to back away from him. I see my parents standing over by the vegetables, frozen in shock. I run over and hug my dad, crying into his jacket. He rubs my back and my mom does the same.
"Are you her parents?" the officer asks and I'm assuming they nodded, for he continued. "Did she know that boy?" he asks.
"Not that we know of," my mother replies. I hear scribbling before he continues.
"Do you know why she refuses to go in for questioning?" he asks and I start sobbing even harder.
"No, we're still in shock she talked," my dad says and I can already tell the man looked perplexed. "She hasn't spoken a word since she was six years old. She goes to a therapist but it doesn't help," he says and I hear more scribbling.
"Can you bring her down to the station?" the police man asks. They must have nodded. "Great, you can follow me," he says before I hear him walking away. My parents start to walk, my dad moving me off his chest and wrapping his arm around my shoulder, my mom doing the same as they start to walk. I stay still.
"Come on honey," my dad says and I shake my head no, tears still leaking.
"Why don't you want to go sweety?" my mom asks and I shake my head no.
"Come on, they're nice. They won't hurt you," my dad says.
"No, but he will," I slip. Oh no. No! Why did I say that? Why did I talk? Why didn't I stay quiet? Why, why, WHY?
"Who will honey?" mom asks. I start crying and fall to the ground, crying. I shake my head as the tears flood my cheeks and my parents look to the officer. He whispers something to them and they nod. My dad picks me up and leads me outside, into the car. I cry harder as we near the station, but they don't stop there. They pass, heading for the hospital. What is going on? We pull into the hospital and my parents open my door. They follow the officer inside and once we are in the officer heads to speak to the desk lady.
"Alright, I need you to sign here and they can do the check up," he says, handing them a paper. I get a glimpse of the word 'rape kit' as my dad hands it to my mom after he signed it. I scream and try to run but my dad picks me up around my waist. I kick and scream, squirming to get free. They can't do a rape kit. They can't know. No, no NO! Why did I have to speak? Why, why, why? I feel something enter my arm and get a glimpse of the paramedic before everything gets blurry and I black out.
"Well the surgery went well, but sadly she turned up positive. Luckily she's not pregnant though." A loud shriek. "She should be waking up at any moment." Footsteps slowly die away. I open my eyes and a bright light enters them, causing me to squint. I finally adjust and try to sit up, but something's off. Why am I wearing a robe? Where am I? I begin to think and the memories flood back, just in time.
"You're awake! Oh sweety we had no idea. Is this why you wouldn't talk? Who did it?" I stare at my mom blankly, I can't answer. Just act like I don't know what's going on. I cock my head in confusion but they see right through it.
"Come on honey, we know you were r-ra- sexually abused. Who did it?" dad asks me. I look away. I can't talk. I'll slip again.
"You're going to be leaving the hospital in a bit, we're going to head down to the police station with the man from earlier. Okay?" my mom asks, as if just hoping I'll say something again. I nod my head before laying it back down. Her eyes begin to water and she turns away. "Um, I'm going to get something from the snack machine. Coming dear?" I could tell by the way her voice cracked that she was crying.
"Yes, we'll be back," my dad says, kissing my head. I can't stand to see mom cry.
"I love you," I whisper before they leave the room. They both freeze, looking at me with loving eyes, though both looking like their trying not to cry.
"Love you too," they both reply and I smile. They leave the room and I sigh, playing with the edge of my blanket.
"Aren't you the girl from the grocery store?" I look up and for the third time, see those bright green eyes. I nod my head and he smiles, though his lip is fat and swollen. "Thank you, you saved my life," he smiles. I nod again. "Were you really raped?" he asks me and I hesitate, toying my lip between my teeth before nodding. "Can you speak? I promise I won't ask any more questions about it," he says and I hesitate, but nod my head. "So what kind of music do you like?" he asks.
"Er... Black Veil Brides, Escape the Fate, One Direction, Cute Is What We Aim For, SuperChick, Falling In Reverse, stuff like that," I whisper. He chuckles.
"One Direction? That was randomly thrown in with the rest," he says and I blush.
"They're good," I say and he chuckles.
"Well I agree with all but Escape the Fate and One Direction. Not a big fan of Techno or Pop," he says and I giggle. "So Angel- you don't mind the nickname do you?" When I shake my head no he smiles and continues. "So Angel, why exactly did you decide to speak up for me? I heard your parents telling the police officer that you've been mute since you were six while they were waiting for you, so why did you decide to speak up for me? No one ever does," he seems a bit insecure all the sudden, and draws his sheets closer.
"You looked nice, and they were hurting you. I'm not sure why fully, but I kind of went out of my own mind for a second. All I knew is you didn't look like you deserved to be hurt. Plus it kind of reminded me of what my uncle would do after he raped me." I didn't realize at first what I had said, but once I did I covered my mouth and grabbed the pillow from behind me, covering my face. He just stared, unblinking and shocked. "Please, don't say anything. Please, please, please. I'm begging. It slipped. Please." Apparently he sensed the desperation in my voice because he nodded.
"You need to tell someone. A girl like you doesn't deserve that torture," he says and I cock my head.
"A girl like me?" I ask and he blushes.
"You know: nice, pretty, funny, stuff like that," he says a bit shyly. I smile.
"Thanks, but I still can't have anyone know." He sighs but looks at me, and stares slightly. Looking as if he's... reading me or something. He sighs again.
"I won't tell, I'm sure there's a reason you don't want them to know," he says.
"Ya, he threatened he'd kill them," I whisper.
"Who?" Colby asks and I sigh, looking up and into his eyes.
"My parents, friends, well if I had any, anyone who's close to me really. He threatened to kill them all then save me for last, so that I'd have to suffer the loss and I'd know he was coming." Again he just stares in shock.
"Well, can you at least do me a favor?" he asks, scribbling something on the notepad beside his bed.
"What?" I ask. He grabs the paper and crumples it, throwing it over to me.
"Call me next time it happens, or whenever you feel like just talking. Doesn't matter what about," he says and I unfold the paper to see his number written on it. I smile at it and look up to see him staring at me.
"Thanks," I grin and we continue to talk about random stuff. My parents come back, it took them forever. My body stiffens when I see who follows. My aunt smiles at me, she has no clue that the man beside her did this. My uncle looks relieved, but I can tell it's only an act. My aunt comes over and gives me a hug, my uncle doing the same. I flinch when he does it.
"The doctor says you can come home now," my mom says, handing me an outfit. I nod, grabbing it before heading to the bathroom. I smile weakly at Colby, and one look I can tell he knows that the man who had hugged me was the uncle that caused me so much pain.

A few weeks later

"We need a new approach, she isn't talking," the police officer mutters. He had left the door to the observation room open.
"Maybe Colby can help, she talks to him more than anyone," I hear my mom say and sigh. Colby and I have become really good friends over the past couple of weeks, he's really sweet. I'm head over heels for him but no one could ever love me. My uncle tells me it constantly. Colby walks into the room and I smile, running over and hugging him. He hugs me back and lets me cry on his shoulder.
"They want you to tell them who did this to you, I told them I'm not going to say anything unless you tell me I can. You need to tell them. He can't hurt anyone from behind bars," Colby whispers and I look up at him.
"He said he'd do it before they get to him, he'd hide. I don't want them to die, I don't want you to die," I weep.
"Please tell them. For me? I hate the fact that he's hurting you and I can't do anything. Please," I look into his eyes and melt.
"Fine," I sigh, "But I want you here," he nods his head before motioning to the mirror. The police officer walks in and stares at me, waiting. Colby wraps me in his arms and I take a deep breath.
"My uncle, Rodger Clemmin," I breath, shuddering. He nods before leaving the room. I break down in Colby's arms and he holds me tightly. He leads me from the room and my parents both hug me as soon as I walk out. As soon as they release me though I'm back in Colby's arms. He's the only one who can calm me. A while later we're told we can leave and my parents agreed to let Colby stay over, as long as we slept in the living room. As we're leaving I see them bringing my uncle in, and apparently he saw me too.
"You little bitch! I warned you! You're dead! Dead! All of you!" he screams, breaking out of the police officer's arms and running at me. He goes to lunge at me but Colby tackles him to the ground. They wrestle around before the police officers run over, grabbing my uncle away and dragging him roughly.
"Let's go," Colby says, wrapping his arm protectively around my waist. We all drive home and head inside. My parents head to bed and Colby and I change into our pajamas, in seperate rooms of course. We meet back in the living room and he has me pick out a movie. I pick out Taken and put it in. As we're watching I look over at Colby, only to see he's already staring at me. "Hey Angel," he grins.
"I think we're even now," I giggle.
"Nope, you still saved my life. I only beat the heck out of a guy that tried to hurt you, but I've been dying to strangle him ever since you told me. You don't deserve that, you're perfect," he says and I blush, looking down. I don't know what made me do it, but suddenly I kissed him. Even more confusing, he kissed back. He tangles one hand in my hair, the other gently cupping my cheek. He's so gentle, yet there's a rough, passionate edge to it. We pull away and he grins. "I love you Larah, so, so much," he says and I smile, grabbing his hand in mine.
"I love you too," I whisper gently. He grins, wrapping his arms around me and just holding me. I feel safe.