Popular brother's best friend (Hope and Alex)

I rushed through the hallway looking down, trying not to make eye contact at the group of popular kids that bothered me. Luckily they were to busy paying attention to their looks, so they didn't notice me. School was always really hard for me because of the people there. They would always make fun of me and torment me. It was always so aggravating. But there was not much I could do about it. I tried to ignore it but still they continued and every time I told them to back off, they would just bother me even more. Even though I greatly despised the popular kids, there was one I couldn't help but have a crush on. Alex. He was my brother's best friend. He would talk to me sometimes when he came over to my house to see my brother, but never at school. I walked up to my locker clutching my books to my chest hoping that no one would knock them out of my hands. No one stopped the popular kids from bothering me because to be honest they were all scared themselves. I was their only target, and everybody wanted to keep like that. I was a nobody at school. My brother knew about this and tried to get his friends to stop but they wouldn't. They didn't understand how much it hurt. They were all so blind. Now Alex was more of the mysterious, smolder kinda guy. Of course he was a total sweetheart inside, but on the outside he looked a bit rough. He walked past me and waved. I waved back and heard someone behind me scoff. I looked over my shoulder and saw the school's queen bee Charlotte, waving to him as well. "He was waving to me, you freak! Why in the world would he be waving to you? You're worthless. Alex is the hottest guy in the school and he deserves to be with the hottest girl in school. Me." She pushed past me and ran up to Alex flirting like she did every other day. I pursed my lips and turned back to my locker thinking about what she had said. Am I really that bad? What am I doing wrong? Why do I have to be so different from everybody else?

I walked to the cafeteria a little early because I was on the lunch program. I volunteered to clean the dirty trays and serve the food that was being cooked. I put on my gloves and put my hair into a nice pony tail. I slipped into my apron and waited by the food that was waiting to be served. Of course this job didn't really make the whole bullying situation any better, but I was one for helping. So when the lunch lady was in desperate need of a helper I volunteered. Some kids shuffled through the door and I prepared to serve them. One of the school jocks, Ethan sped past all the other kids and cut right in front of the line. "You have to wait your turn," I said quietly. "Whatever," he spat. "Don't tell me what to do. You freak!" He grabbed my wrist forcefully leaving a bruise. I hissed in pain. He let go of my hand and I put some food on his tray. I looked around to see if anybody saw what just happened. Alex stood in the corner with his jaw clenched, but he didn't say anything. I wasn't sure if he had seen anything or not. I continued to serve all the kids until they were all sitting at their tables eating. I began to wash some of the dirty trays that were left for me. I picked up a stack of dirty trays. Right as I was about to turn around another one of the school jocks bumped into me purposely causing all the trays to fall. All eyes were on me. "Whoops," he said with a smirk. "My bad." Everybody started laughing and pointing fingers at me. My eyes began to water as I picked up each tray one by one. Alex shook his head and walked towards me. He helped me pick each one up. "I could have done it myself," I said to him taking off my gloves. "You didn't have to help me. You're just going to ruin your reputation. Just because I'm a freak doesn't mean you have to be one too." He gave me a confused face and walked away remaining silent. I sighed as most of the kids walked out of the cafeteria still laughing and whispering about me, as if I couldn't here them.

School was about to end. All we had left was Gym. Today we were going to be playing football and I wasn't too excited. I changed into my gym strip and walked out onto the field. All the popular kids stood together in the front as I stayed in the back trying to be noticed by them. The bruise on my wrist began to ache but I tried to ignore it. I waited to be assigned my place, standing along with the rest of the kids. "Alex! Hope! Wendy! Right here," coach said pointing to a spot. I nodded and followed Alex and Wendy onto the field. I stood in my spot quietly as Alex's eyes wandered to my wrist. He looked hurt. He looked into my eyes and then back at my wrist. He touched it gently and I immediately moved my hand in pain. I moved a little farther from him. He grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back. "W-What happened," he stuttered pointing at my badly bruised injury. I just shook my head. "It doesn't matter. It's nothing, I promise." He looked angry. "Nothing?! This is nothing? You are hurt, Hope! What happened? Who did this?" I looked down. "Ethan," I whispered. He tensed up and looked towards Ethan. "That's it," he muttered. I didn't know what was going on. Alex walked up to Ethan and tapped him on the back. He turned around and smiled. "Oh hey bro. What's up?" He didn't respond. He raised his fist and slammed it against Ethan's face causing his lip to bleed. Coach blew his whistle. He ran up to the boys and pushed them away from each other. "Alex! Principal's office. Now," he said angrily. He raised his hands in surrender and walked away. My eyes widened. "Can I please go talk to him," I begged coach. He nodded and I skeptically ran towards him. "Alex," I yelled. "Alex! Turn around!" He didn't listen. He just kept walking. "Alex! Listen to me! Why would you do that! Why would do put yourself in danger and get yourself in trouble like that? I'm worthless! Why do you care about me?" He suddenly turned around and pinned me against the nearest wall.

"Because I love you," he called out angrily. "I love you! Okay? Are you happy? Now that you know? I love you! And you know what? It hurts me when someone bothers you! When I found out he hurt you, I wasn't going to let him get away with it! Nobody touches my girl and gets away with it!" I giggled. "Oh. So I'm you're girl, am I?" He scratched the back of his neck and started babbling. "Uh well I just thoug- I mean- I didn't- Its not like I don'- I just," I cut him off. "Oh just shut up and kiss me." He smirked and smashed his lips to mine immediately. We both pulled apart. Immediately I got worried. "What if they bother you, like they bother me," I asked concerned. He gave me a sincere smile. "We'll get through it," he whispered. "Together." I smiled back. "Together."