The adopted brother (Rose and Mason)

I walked past the lockers with my friends. I clutched my books as some of the girls in the school made weird faces at me. What is going on? My friends shot me sympathetic smiles. I didn't know what was going on. People started whispering and snickering. I could tell they were talking about me but I ignored them. Even though I didn't mind that everybody was talking about me, I did have a few questions on my mind. Did I do something wrong? Was it something I did? I thought about it for a while and decided to just forget about it. I walked into gym class with my friends and we walked into the girl's changing room. "What's up with everyone," I asked them. They shrugged. "Dunno. Just don't worry about it hun," Claire said putting her hand on my shoulder. I shook it off and changed into my gym strip. The coach blowed the whistle. We walked out of the changing room and huddled around the coach. Some kids stared at me. It was really starting to get annoying so I moved farther away from the kids. They finally stopped when the coach started talking about the game we were about to play. I wasn't a big fan of P.E but I tried. Apparently we were going to be playing field hockey. My team gave me the job of goalie. I were a bit nervous. I wasn't exactly the most athletic person. I put my gear on and grabbed one of the hockey sticks. I took a breathe and walked up to the net. I positioned myself and looked straight forward. All the other kids took their spots on the court and got ready. I watched as the coach dropped the puck on the floor. Kids immediately started running towards it. Somebody on the other team had the puck and passed it someone else. The person ran across the court and came closer to me. I started to tense up. I straightened up and stood on guard. C'mon. Keep your cool. You can do it. Just don't freak. Stop being scared of sports. They won't kill you. Well. Most of the time. I thought. The person passed to someone near the net.The person moved their hockey stick back and hit the puck. The puck flew and hit the wall. I knitted my eyebrows then turned behind me and realized that the person missed dramatically. I felt relieved. Well that's wasn't bad. Now people just need to keep missing and I'll be good. Eventually the game finished. I quickly took off my gear and changed into my clothes. Me and my friends were in the changing room putting some of the equipment away to help out. A girl I haven't talked to very much and I carried the net into the changing room and set it down, her name was Fate. Claire was collecting the hockey sticks so it was just me and Fate. She smiled and walked over to me. I sat down on the bench and grabbed my water bottle. I opened the cap and took a seat. She sat down next to me. "So. Um you two aren't related so its fine," she told me. I raised an eyebrow. "Erm. What are you talking about," I asked her getting more and more curious. She looked surprised. "Oh! You don't know? Whoops. I uh gotta go," she replied and rushed out of the room. I sighed. Things are just getting weirder and weirder by the minute. What is going on today?
I picked up my stuff and walked off to study hall. I found and empty seat and sat down. I pulled out my book and started reading it. The topic of the chapter I was reading was cows. How could they possibly right a 15 page chapter on cows? I flipped through the pages, beginning to read. This is going to be interesting. Reading the chapter was absolute torture. So far I've learned that a cow's first stomach is called a fardingbag. Wow. What a scientific name. Great choice. Good job. I put my head in my hands waiting for it all to end. Even though I felt like I had been in class for an hour I had only been there for 15 minutes. "Oh. Well it looks like you're having a fun time," a familiar voice rang. I lifted my head from the book and looked up. "Yep. Totally. I'm having the time of my life as you can tell. There is nothing more fun than reading about a cow's stomach," I replied sarcastically to my adopted brother Mason. He laughed and took the seat he pulled out. A couple head turned around to look at us both. Weird.

"Almost done with the chapter," Mason asked me pulling out some of his homework. I shook my head. The thing I loved about Mason is that he was so different. He didn't act like a brother. More of friend. He always listened to me and never made rude comments. He was amazing. "Why do teachers enjoy giving students piles of homework? How does it bring joy to them," I asked skeptically. He chuckled at my questions and shook his head. "I don't know Rose. You should ask." I focused on my chapter again. A few minutes later the bell rang. "Yes," I whispered fist pumping. School is over suckers. I got up and grabbed all my belongings. I followed Mason out of the class room which caused a few snickers. I clenched my jaw. I was sick and tired of all this. I didn't know what was going on and everybody refused to tell me. It was all so frustrating. I hated when people knew things that I didn't and didn't tell me on purpose. I put my books away in my locker and got ready to go home. I looked around for Mason. I walked through the hallway and stopped by Mason's locker. He was just about done. He put the last of his books away and collected one of his papers, I assumed was homework. He closed the locker door and turned around. "Are you ready," I asked. He nodded and we both walked off. Before we went home I had to pick something off from the office. Most kids weren't in the hallway at the moment because they were all in the gym picking up some papers. I asked the secretary for my paper and she handed me an envelope. The school doors opened and tons of kids, all coming from the gym scurried in. As I walked with Mason away from the office, I noticed that there were a lot of kids crowding up the hallway. We both pushed past some kids. A lot of kids turned around and stared at us both. I saw one of the girls in my class turn to whisper to her friends. I glared. I couldn't take it anymore. I looked Mason straight in the eyes.

"Do you know what's going on," I asked him annoyed. He knitted his eyebrows. "All day people have been staring at me and pointing and whispering behind my back. I don't know what's going on. What's happening?" His eyes widened a bit. He looked really nervous. I was very confused. He was at a loss for words. He turned around and ran towards one of the class rooms. He left me there bewildered with no answer. I ran after him and walked into the vacant classroom. "Mason. Please tell me. I don't care what it is. I don't mind. I'll be here with you no matter what it is," I told him. He sighed. "Fine. But I know this is going to ruin everything. Rose. I-I love you. Okay? I do. I'm sorry. I know we're like family. But I'm adopted and its different. I know I shouldn't love you in that way. But I can't help myself. I've tried to convince myself that I don't but I can't change that I do. Meeting you was faith. Getting to know you was a choice. But falling in love with you? I had no control over," he finished. I walked up to him without a care in the world and pressed my lips to his. He was a bit taken back but he responded. I pulled away told him only one thing. Love is love, no matter which way you decide to see it.