The Bullied (2) (Karol and Adele)

I've just moved in to a new school. So far it seems to be going well, for it only being my second day. I haven't really connected with anyone in particular or even had a real conversation yet, but I'm not instantly hated or ignored so that's a good sign. I'm quite average looking, mousey brown hair sweeping just above my chest, and wearing very little makeup, a bit of mascara. I saw a boy, He seemed the stereotypical 'emo' kid, which I hate to say because I don't believe in doing all that sub genre stuff and negatively stereotyping peope. He had black styled hair, wears very tight skinnies etc., he kept to himself. "Run along then fag." I rounded the corner to see two jocks standing behind the boy who seemed to be ignoring them and continued to gaze over what looked like post-it notes (from a side on view) covering his locker. His non-existent reaction wiped the smug look off their faces as they violently spun him by the shoulder to face them. "Can't you read, nobody cares about ickle wickle Karol, now get lost." He walked away with a face that said he wanted to explode, but couldn't be bothered. He passed me, but hadn't seemed to have noticed me. My eyes followed him, until he was further down the adjoining corridor and they turned back to the bullies with a hint of shock and disgust. I hated these kids, and the fact that they found the use of 'emo' or 'fag' appropriate. 'This generation has gone to the dogs' I thought. I was quite mature for my age, and very opinionated. Obviously I wasn't going to adopt their same way of thinking and generalise youth culture, but there were some prize dicks around today and I hated being roped in with them in the grand scheme of things. Though I'd never been a direct victim of bullying per say, obviously, I didn't quite qualify for a lifetime of hate in the eyes of these douchebags; I'd seen it play out in my old school, it was such an unnecessary way of bullies heightening their own self-esteem. My first class was a little ... different. The art teacher was actually mental, I loved her. She brought a smile to my face after the previous sights had given it a hard look of annoyance. The class was already a quarter of the way through the current project, and also had a whole year up on me. Starting new after the 1st term would take a lot of catching up, but a few late nights and weekends full of study I was sure to be on track. I based my project on the topic 'Famous Faces', which was perfect for me. This was obviously going to consist of portraits of Ashley Purdy, Craig Mabbitt, and Kurt Cobain, along with a few other favourites. I already had a mass quantity of drawings which I could throw in. I started the first lesson with a painting of the whole of Black Veil Brides in A3. After sketching it out lightly, I was amazed that it only took me further 25 minutes to paint all but CC, usually it takes me weeks, usually because I get easily distracted by another picture and end up having several on the go simultaneously. "Who ... the ... hell ... is that?" some loud-mouthed idiot took it upon himself to yell. I answered him politely. "Ah, well they look shit, don't go playing that sort of crap around here!" charming, doesn't even know who they are but can just know they're shit, eh. What a lovely young man. "Great, another freak over 'ere lads! The emos are growing to prepare for their invasion." He sniggered, with his back to me, thinking he's all that. "Excuse me!?" I said in a somewhat raised tone and disgust in my voice. "Nothing." He laughed and carried on making his way back to his table. "Oh so Mr 'I'm so freakin' hilarious' over here probably can't count past the fingers on his hand but can take it upon himself to pretty much do and say as he pleases?" "What did you say?" he turned round, trying to look intimidating, but I wasn't going to back down to the likes of him, I could hold my own. "Well done, hell of a welcoming committee you got here. Why don't you appoint yourself head dickhead? Or, while you're at it, run for president." I looked up with a satisfied smile. Well so much for staying under the radar. He started to head back towards me before the teachers told him to 'sit your arrogant bitch ass down and shut up', followed by the bell. He scowled, grabbed his bag and left.
2nd lesson – English. I got there pretty early, or at least before everyone else. "Well, there's a few spare seats." The teacher pointed out 3 of them, "But the one at the back is next to a bit of a weird lad so I don't know if that'll be your choice." He turned away to staple some papers. His face was completely genuinely serious. Even the teachers typecast kids in a negative light, what sort of a school was this? I waited for a moment, as the rest of the class started to fill in. I saw one of the 2 jocks from that morning, and he was bragging about some shit that probably happened nothing like he was telling it. Then I heard, "When that emo fag Karol gets here its f-ckin' kickin' off." Karol? Was that the 'weird lad' sir was referring to? I chose to take that seat anyway. As I went to make my way down the way between desks I noticed a guy or 2 check me out. "Err, hey darlin' why don't you take this seat here." I rolled my eyes. I moved on closer to the back and slid in to my seat. The 2 rows immediately infront of me were occupied by 4 pervy looking arrogant bastards who turned round as I passed them. "Err, you don't wanna sit there honey, you might catch something, I hear being a depressed little runt is contagious." He laughed and glanced at the mate behind him. Great, more wonderful people to see every day. I ignored them and pulled out a pen. Then, close to last, Karol strode in. the guys infront patted each other when they noticed. "Hey Assface, late 'cause you were too busy slitting your wrists?"
"Obviously didn't do a good enough job trying to kill yourself."
"Just another failure to add to the list." They sneered. He ignored them, but I could see the hurt in his eyes under his fringe. He paused when he saw me, but carried on after I gave him a small reassuring smile. He was actually kind of beautiful, the tall dark and handsome kind. He had an innocent looking face, but it still made him look old for his age. He was the sort of skinny that looked like he might secretly be hiding a reasonable set of abs, but I can never be sure.
"Right, Romeo and Juliet, for the new girl lets summarise the first few scenes." He sighed. The lesson started immediately. The teacher had a hint of annoyance in his voice as though I was being a pain in the ass by being there and a hinder to his job. I knew Romeo and Juliet well, I've studied it in depth last year in my previous school. Boy meets girl x (not meant to be) + raging family feud = death. I spotted the hint of a scar on Karol's right wrist, he was wearing a long sleeved black and grey stripy top so I couldn't see it all but it was slightly visible. He noticed me looking, and the sympathetic look on my face. He caught my eye and so I looked up back at him. He was smiling, the sort of smile that said, don't worry about me. I bit my lip and looked down, returning to his gaze with a friendly smile, and mouthed the word 'hey', he did the same, but then my attention was drawn back to the class as the teacher instructed us to do so. Half way through the lesson, I've been note-making for the last 10 minutes or so as our teacher was talking about the death of Mercutio scene, when a paper ball was launched my way. I didn't stop writing or change my pattern of looking from the board down to the paper or avert my eyes in its direction, I simply reached out my hand casually and caught, I felt like such a ninja. I gently put it on the desk and carried on. It wasn't long after when a pencil followed it. This time I spun my body to dodge it letting it hit the wall behind me. I looked back to the guys with an unimpressed look. "Really guys?" they just giggled, "Grow up." "Problem miss Adele?" The teacher looked up. "No sir, I just think some of your class need to grow a brain cell or two and act like they're not in f-ckin' pre-school." Oops, that didn't mean to come out that way. "I will not tolerate that foul language miss Adele. It happens again and you're gone." I apologized and the lesson continued. 'Sorry if sitting next to me has put you in a bad position with those pricks :/' Karol slid a note over to me. '5 lessons a week of immature dicks and semi-constant ridicule ... bring it on ;)' he looked at me with an apologetic half smile. I cracked my thumb in one hand and angrily went back to scribbling down notes. When I was at my locker afterwards, "Erm thanks for that, standing up to them and all." Karol gave me an embarrassed smile. "Err yeah, so, where's the best place to hang out around here without being swarmed by a gang of Neanderthals?" "Well, the library is pretty much a foreign concept to them, or at lunch, I go back to mine if you wanna join me?"
I paused for a moment then smiled, "Yeah sure." Aw, he seemed really sweet, I liked him. Maybe I could break him out of his shell.
"MUM, I'M HOME, I'LL BE UPSTAIRS!" I followed him as he chucked his converse by the door and climbed the stairs. The 2nd door on the right took me in to a white room filled with predominantly black furniture, black bed, black desk, black carpet etc. and the walls were decorated with a few posters. I point out the Black Veil Brides one, "You have good taste." "Err yeah, so this is my room, sit wherever." I sunk in to the black beanbag and crossed my legs up on it. "So yeah, what d'ya wanna do?" I wasn't fussed. "Ok, well, do you wanna get something to eat first then?" We both went downstairs to see what food there was. "Oh, dear you didn't mention you had company. Hi there." His mum greeted me with a friendly smile as I introduced myself. She has shoulder length blonder hair. She looked younger than I suspected she was, and very much like Karol, a very pretty woman. She had an apron on which was speckled with flour. "I was just making some pizza Karol." He looked back to me questioningly. "Yeah, that sounds good." I replied. What a lovely woman. She went back to kneading the dough in to a circle. He poured us each a glass of coke and we went back upstairs to his room to chill for half an hour or so. "So, why do you put up with it?" "'Cause if I snap they know they've won and if I try to get them back it's sinking to their level. It's best just to ignore them and try to act as though it doesn't affect me." He looked down at his hands and shrugged, making it so obvious that it did affect him. And then I heard his mum call from downstairs, making his head jerk towards the door. I watched him get up and take a few steps towards the door, I really wanted to help him. "You coming then?" he giggled. I smiled and nodded. "There you go love, hope it's not too over cooked." It looked delicious. Mrs Bryant wrapped her arm over Karol's shoulder.
"Thanks mum." He smiled and put his arm round behind her waist. She pulled him closer with her arm and kissed his head. "I'll leave you to it then." She smiled at me and left. They were such a cute family. He seemed so happy in this environment, just a normal cheery kid, not like the lad I'd met at school only a few hours previous. Oh my lord it tasted so good. I had to take a mouthful of coke after I'd bitten right in to the steaming hot 'fresh out of the oven' pizza.
"Tell your mum she is an amazing cook." I smiled and continued. "Hey so, I've got a free lesson next, but I could always walk you back to school." He shrugged. "Erm, I think I've got one too actually." I reached in to my bag to check but Karol had already got a smile over his face which he was trying to hide. "Yeah, then History after I'm free." "Great." I smiled back at him. "So, another hour, what do you wanna do now?" We watched a couple episodes of Family Guy while we chatted. His dad died four years ago, which is when he dived in to his deep depressive phase, he recovered and came to grips with his dads passing, but he was still bullied at school for being 'emo'. I really felt sorry for him, but the more I learnt about him and spent time with him, the more I found how similar we were and how much I liked him. My mum left my dad when I was 10 and me and my dad were now really close. He'd taught me how to look after myself and he was always my greatest role model. "So, looks like it's time to head back then."
We were walking down the hill and almost in to school when a car passed, one of the lads from earlier, who chucked a half a cup of McDonald's sprite all over the 2 of us. I raised my arms in shock and gasped. "Oi knob, you wanna step out your car and face up to us like a man." "Just leave it." Karol grasped my shoulder and stopped me, "Come on, we'll sprint back to mine and grab something to wear."
His mum wasn't in when we got back; she'd gone out to grab some shopping. He leant me a pair of his skinnies and a t-shirt, and a hoodie. He chucked our wet clothes in the wash. "Come back to mine afterwards and you can change, my mum will probably still be out so she won't know." It was apparent that he'd never spoken to his mum about being bullied, and that she hadn't picked up on it, another thing I felt sorry for him about, he had no one to turn to when it really got rough. I knew we would be late back but we didn't rush back. And I wasn't too bothered about the teacher's reactions. Afterwards, I met up with Karol by his locker and we strolled back to his house. "Erm, they're still a little wet, let me put them in the dryer for a bit." He shouted through from the utility room. I chilled for a bit on the sofas in the lounge, having a laugh. It was nice to hear him laugh, it meant the bullies hadn't completely broken him, and he wasn't just putting it on for his mum's sake. I felt like I could be myself around him, and talk about everything. We had Kerrang 101 rock party hits blasting from the TV, and when Green Day's 'Outsider' came on, the two of us leapt from our seats and started rocking out. We laughed as the song finished and dropped to the floor back to back. "So, I bet your clothes will be done now, hold on." He got up and left leaving me to fall back in the space where he was sitting. He returned with my clothes and I went upstairs to change, putting his clothes back in to his wardrobe. "So, feel like a visit to the park, I feel like getting out?" "Yeah." I agreed, deciding to leave your bag there and left infront of him as he locked the front door. And it was there that I saw the idiot that covered us in drink earlier. "HEY PRICK, YOU HAVEN'T GOT YOUR CAR TO PROTECT YOU NOW, STILL THINK YOU CAN HANDLE A LITTLE GIRL THEN?" I couldn't control myself as I stormed over, leaving Karol where he was stood telling me not to bother. I could hear his lightly in the background yelling at me, and his footsteps, a little faster than mine coming after me, but I was too focussed on the lad infront of me. "Aw, hey emo kid, you got yourself a bodyguard eh? Or are you on suicide watch?" he laughed with the 2 of his friends he was with, sat on the table and bench next to him. My fist had its own agenda and launched full force in to the side of his face. "AH YOU BITCH!" he stumbled back a bit, then threw himself forward. Karol jumped infront of me, more to calm me down than shield me initially. He turned round to the others. "Back off guys." But the leader of the dick-squad just pushed him out of the way and slapped me. Then Karol got angry, he threw his fist right in to the guys nose, but before he could get in another shot he'd been kneed in the stomach and thrown over to the floor about 2 metres from me. They turned to me and started, I fought back to begin with but 3 was too much.

Karol's POV

I looked up from the grass to see 2 of them laying in to her, she was scrunched up on the floor, they were mainly kicking her stomach, but one of them picked her up by her hair and punched her in the face. I reached out a shaky hand, whispering her name. They'd winded me so literally no noise came out. With the other hand I pushed myself about an inch off the floor, before I was dragged backwards by the third guy.
"You're not even worth it, eh guys, come one, let's leave it now, I've gotta get off to see Michelle anyway."

Adele's POV

They left me. I looked around to find Karol, where was he? But then he rushed up behind me, his voice was rapid and raspy.
"Oh my god Adele are you ok?" I'd managed to block most of the kicks with my hand so they didn't hit my stomach, but they were still pretty forceful kicks so my wrist ached, and my cheek was throbbing, I felt a trickle of blood down my cheek which I just wiped away with my knuckle. He helped me up to your feet, I felt a little weak, but generally alright, it could've been much worse. We walked back to his house. "Here's a glass of water." "Honestly I'm fine." I've picked up by that point, and were sounding back to normal, with a smile on my face. But he still looked worryingly at me. I decided to get back off home, I had a bit of a limp, and a few ribs on my left side were still hurt. My cheekbone had bruised and it had a cut along it. When I stepped in through my door, dad was in the kitchen, he had his back to me.
"Honey, I ..." he turned and saw the state of me. "Oh my Gosh, what have you been doing?"
"Look, there were some guys in the park, it's nothing."
I sat down on the stool at the kitchen island, wincing as I pulled myself up and pulled my ribs again. "I got a call from school today, swearing in lesson, being late, now you're fighting?" "There was a lad who I was sticking up for, those guys were idiots. If it was a fair fight I could've taken them, but 3 against one was a little off, they caught me off guard." I jumped from my seat and acted out a few punches, which made Dad laugh. He had no doubt that I could take care of myself.
"Ok, but no more bad reports from school, k?"
"K" I smiled and hugged him, going back upstairs. I took out my phone to call Karol, to say thanks and all that. "Erm yeah hey, I can't talk right now I've got to go... I'm so sorry." That was weird. His voice was shaky, and he'd emphasised the 'so sorry'. Something was wrong. I had to go round and see what was going on. I knocked, but it was ignored. I reached for the door handle and it opened slowly. I paused, and then continued. Making my way up the stairs to Karol's room. I pushed it open slowly,
"Karo-" I was shocked by the sight of a weak boy standing feebly with a razor in one hand and blood dripping from every one of the fingers. He turned shocked that I was there. I ran to him, taking the razor and throwing it, "What have you done?" My eyes watered. I put my hands on his jaw and rested my forehead on his. "I couldn't even protect you against a few thugs, how am I supposed to protect you against everything else?"
"What, no, they were some overgrown assholes, and I'm fine, you don't need to protect me."
"But I want to; I want to spend every second of my life protecting you. But I know you can't love someone like me."
I looked up in to his eyes and tiptoed closer to his face. His eyes were weary and struggling to stay open.
"Of course I could, I do love you, and I don't care about you protecting me, I know you'd love me, and that's enough for me right now." I reached up and kissed him, through the floods of tears that came. He reached his hands up, and put them in my hair, turning it redder by the second. I could feel my tears trickle down my face, and in to my lips. His body went limp, and he fell down to his bed, still sitting up, managing to look up to me, smile and say,
"I would have loved to be yours." before passing out.
"NO!" I screamed "YOU STILL CAN BE, NO, COME ON!" I dropped to my knees in front of him and grabbed his hands. I tied a few cloths to his wrist I found laying on his floor to try to manage the bleeding. I then dialed 911.

A few days later I woke up slowly, and groggily, awoken by the sound of rustling. I uncurled myself on the chair and wiped my eyes to see Karol shuffling in the hospital bed. He tried to sit up, but I jumped out of my seat to stop him. "No, stay still, you're still weak." The ambulance had been very slow getting there by which time he'd lost a lot of blood; the recovery was longwinded and difficult. He didn't say anything for some time. I leaned down and kissed him gently, then moved my head towards his ear. "Do that again and I'll kick your ass." The two of us giggled quietly. "Only if you don't go picking fight with groups of football players." I laughed again and nodded, "And ... you stay mine forever."
"Promise"