Chapter 30:

"Should I go get Nat?" I ask after hearing loud coughing coming from upstairs. When Lucy nods, I turn to walk up the stairs quickly and find the closed door that leads to Bear's room.

"Go away." Bear says from behind the door after I knock.

"C'mon Bear. We have to go to the hospital." I say while pressing my forehead against the door.

"I'm not going. I'm fine." she says defensively.

I try to open the door but it's locked. There's an indented line on the doorknob where the lock is and I start to search for something in close range that I can put inside and open it.

"You're in denial. You need to have some sort of antibiotic in you. Don't do this, Bear." I say, my eyes searching the ground.

"I'm not denying anything. I'm fine. Leave me alone." Bear says as I spot a hair clip in the ground. I quickly pick it up and put it inside the indent, waiting for the right moment to open the door.

"I'm really sorry, Bear. I love you. Please forgive me." I say and before she has a chance to say anything I unlock the door and barge inside. She's in the process of getting up from her bed when I come inside so I rush and pick her up by her waist, pulling her over my shoulder.

"Yeah, because I totally wanna forgive you when you pull shit like this. Mom! Mom, tell Harry to put me down!" Bear shouts as I carry her down the stairs.

"Carry her out to the car, Harry!" Lucy says over her shoulder as her and Jonathan are walking out the door.

A smile shows on my face as she growls. I laugh when she grips the door handle in an attempt to stop me but I tug her free. At last, she gives up and just becomes dead-weight, only seeming to way a few more pounds. She's silent up until that I put her down into the car, loud coughing erupting from her.

In the reflection of the rear-view mirror, I see Lucy and Jonathan both giving Bear nervous glances. She doesn't see though, almost folding in two as the coughs wrack her body. I get in the car beside her in the back seat and wait patiently until her coughing stops. The radio quietly plays country music and Lucy and Jonathan talk in hushed voices.

"I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die." I barely hear the words that Bear is whisper repeatedly to herself. As soon as I hear it though, I take her in my arms and whisper in her ear.

"You're not gonna die. I won't let you. I have your heart, remember? You're not gonna die." I try to comfort her by I can't see her reaction. Her head is in her lap with her arms around the knees tucked to her chest. Natalie can't die.

It's a long drive to the hospital and Bear refuses to leave the car when we get there. I hold tightly to her ankles to pull her out but she's holding too tightly to the seats.

"Let me try." Jonathan says while putting a hand on my shoulder.

I let go of Bear's ankles and he goes inside the car, Lucy coming over to squeeze my arm tightly. A few seconds later, Bear wraps her arms around Johnathan's neck and he pulls her out, struggling a bit when Bear purposefully becomes dead-weight again. At least she was somewhat agreeable. I take her hand in mine as Jonathan gets her bag from the car and I half drag Bear towards the entrance of the hospital.

As Lucy and Jonathan go inside, Bear pulls my hand sharply backwards. Her lips connect passionately with mine, her hands reaching up to hold my face. She breaks the kiss a second later, reaching her arm up quickly to wipe my mouth roughly against her sleeve.

"I just had to kiss you one more time.." Bear explains with a small, sad smile.

Not having to drag her anymore, we complete the walk inside the hospital hand in hand. Inside, Bear refuses to sit down as she and her mother fill out several forms. At least an hour after standing as Bear paced in front of you, a nurse comes to take her to her room. At the same time, the nurse at the check in counter calls me over.