Chapter 1:

NATALIE’S POV~

Timber wakes me up by jumping on the bed. My mom walks in cheerfully after him, holding two cups of coffee and a few cookies in between her fingers. Timber licks my face but I bat him away, his dog breath taking away from the beautiful Christmas weather of Kentucky.

"Merry Christmas, Mom." I smile cheerfully as I sit in bed. I take a cup of coffee from her hands and she hands me a cookie as she sits on the corner of my bed, telling Timber to lay down.

"Merry Christmas to you too, Natalie. I think that we should spend Christmas like we used to. But start new traditions.. I want you to meet my boyfriend, Jonathan. He's really sweet and he has kids and I swear he's better than your fa-" My mom starts when she sees my face of worry.

"Mom, I'm sure he's great. I can't wait to meet him." I smile while rubbing my mom's arm softly.

"I'm so excited! C'mon let's go open some presents." My mom smiles while she takes my hand and leads me down the stairs to the living room.

Our fake Christmas tree is adorned with the ornaments we put on days ago and the ground around it is littered with the presents me and mom waited until the middle of the night to put there. We sit down on the ground near the tree and take turns giving each other the presents we got for each other.

"So, let's talk. We've barely talked since you got back. Tell me, what's going on in your corner of the world." My mom gossips as she sits on the couch behind where I'm sitting on the ground. I spin around on my butt to face her, and vent what I've been saving until this moment.

It's been about 3 months since me  and Harry kissed last. Since then, a lot has happened. The boys have started filming for their 3D movie and have recorded their music videos for Kiss You and Little Things. One Direction had a sold out concert at MSG earlier this month. I'd meet Ed Sheeran there too and I fought hard to control my inner fangirl. The boy's families showed up at the concert as well. And girlfriends. Bringing with it, the awkward moment that I found that Harry and Taylor were dating for real.

They'd spent most of the time in New York together and I hung out with Niall, which was just fine with me. He was great company and could make me laugh at any moment. Through all the time we had spent together, Niall found my scars and I told him about my self-injury. A few days later, I had relapsed and had done so since the day I flew back to Kentucky, which was 3 days ago.

Recently, Comic Relief contacted the boys and they did a cover of One Way or Another and Teenage Kicks to help with raising money. For the music video and movie, One Direction has made plans to go to Japan and Africa. I'm looking forward to both trips but in no rush to see Harry. Right now, he's back at home with his family but in a few days, he'll be in New York with Taylor. I tell my mom all of this and she listens patiently.

"Well Japan and Africa is exciting! Forget him and just enjoy the trip." My mom says simply as gets up to go to put her empty coffee cup in the kitchen sink.

As she leaves the kitchen, the doorbell rings and she runs to answer it. I stand from the living room ground and call over Timber. I see a man, who I guess is Jonathan, come through the door and give my mom a kiss on the cheek. After him comes in a boy wearing a black shirt and jean shorts despite the chilly weather. He carries a straw cowboy hat in his hand and with his other, he fixes his shaggy brown hair.

"Nat, this is Jonathan," my mom says as she leads both guys to the living room. I struggle to make my words come out, the words caught in my throat. I know the son. And he knows me too.

"Hi, you can call me Bear." I say quietly as I shake hands with Jonathan, still choosing to be called by the pet name Harry gave me.

"Well, hello Bear. This is my son, Kyle," Jonathan says with a hand on Kyle's shoulder. Kyle avoids my eyes and fiddles with the cowboy hat. "Ky, don't be rude." Jonathan says when Kyle continues to be silent.