Chapter 29:

"I don't see why I need to wear a blindfold, but if you say so.." Bear agrees as the ties the black fabric around her eyes.

"Trust me, okay?" I say as kind as I can, guilt gripping at my heart.

When I woke beside Bear this morning, I had acted like everything was normal. I made her another cup of herbal tea and told her to get ready. She agreed but I didn't tell her where we were going when she asked. She would've only gotten angry.

So now she was blindfolded in my car as I drove her to the doctors. We sang along to the songs on the radio and it isn't too long before we get to the doctors office.

"Can I take it off now?" Bear asks after we park. Her hands go to the back of her blindfold but I take her hands before she can loosen the tie.

"No, not yet. You have stay quiet when we go inside, okay?" I clarify while unbuckling my seatbelt.

"Harry-" Bear starts but I get out of the car and run over to her side.

I take her hand to lead her out the door and once she's on the ground, she reaches up and takes off her blindfold before I can stop her.

"Bear, don't-" I start but Bear interrupts, her anger clear.

"What the hell, Harry? I told you, I'm fine. Why can't you just trust me?!" Bear screams angrily, small coughs interrupting her words.

"Nat, I-" I try to say something, but there is nothing to say. I'm in the wrong.

"Save it.." Bear whisper, tears in the corners of her eyes.

She looks like she's about to sprint so I reach out and grab her waist, hoisting her up over my shoulder. She starts to curse me out quietly, purposefully digging her short nails in my back. Her words are soon interrupted by a never ending coughing attack.

Thankfully, there's no one in the waiting room and a nurse behind the counter recognizes Natalie. She leads me to a room immediately and close the door as I put Bear down on the observation bed.

"Natalie, I'm sorry." I say but she avoids my gaze as her coughing subsides. "Natalie, I need to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine, Harold. Leave me alone." Bear says quietly through gritted teeth.

I sit down in a chair next to the bed and we wait in silence for a quiet knocking on the door. Dr.Santana comes walking in second later, a kind smile on her face. I look up at Bear quickly to see her with her normal smile but her hands clutching the cushion of the bed.

"So Natalie, how are we feeling today?" Dr.Santana asks her as she open up a large folder and starts to write inside it.

"I'm feeling fine. Little angry but I'm fine." Bear says kindly and as soon a the first word leaves her mouth, Dr.Santana's head snaps up.

"I'll be honest with you, you sound awful. Your chest is congested, I can hear it already. Breathe." Dr.Santana says worriedly as she rises from her chair and rushes to put her stethoscope to Bear's chest. Bear breathes in and out loudly and Dr.Santana shakes her head. "Breathe in deeply."

"I am." Bear barely whispers before clearing her throat. Dr.Santana meets Bear's eyes and the tension could be cut with a knife.

"Again." Dr.Santana commands before closing her eyes to focus. Bear breathes in and out loudly again, bigger this time, and she instantly breaks out in loud coughing. "That's what I thought."

It takes a couple minutes for Bear to stop coughing and I watch her as she deteriorates with every cough.

"What wrong with her?" I venture to ask when my voice can be heard. Dr.Santana looks over at me and a small smile appears on her face.