Part Forty-Five: Understanding

Start from the beginning

But I understood.

I had to. She's my mate.

And I want to.

The Alpha in me was furious she would go against me, my wishes, but that was simply my ego, and I denied my Alpha of that feeling.

She felt it was necessary to do, so I will support her decision, even if it isn't the one I would make.

She trembled against me. I rubbed my face in her fur again, and kissed her once more like I was. I stepped back and changed, It was early, but she needed me, now more than ever.

I transformed and my paws led me back to her.

She stirred awake as she heard me approach, but I simply laid beside her.

I understand your choice. I'm here to protect you. You are my mate, and I won't leave your side.

She nodded her head as she looked up at me with weak eyes.

I howled into the night to wake the others, letting them know, as I have to every night, that I was out for the night.

***************************************

When Coralie did wake in her wolf form she didn't want me to stay with her, but as Alpha she had to listen to me once I requested something. On any other occasion it might make me feel uncomfortable, and I'd hope she'd fight me on it, but I was glad she didn't. I told the others to scout, to all stay close and circle the territory through the night in opposing flanks, and they didn't question me. Not one of them, and I felt so much pride, they were all good and understanding members of our pack. With their help I stayed by Coralie's side all night. When we changed back she was tired again, and she needed her medicine, so I lifted her up in my arms and carried her inside.

I put her in her bed, she was quiet and distant, but that was expected. I went to my room and got her medicine, brought only what she needed to sleep, and she took it quickly with her water.

"Can you eat?" I asked as I touched her face. She nodded, after thinking for a moment. I smiled and kissed her forehead as I leaned down to her level. "Okay, I'll be right back..."

"Oh-okay." She said as her eyes fixated on her hands as they trembled.

"Do you want to come with me? You can have breakfast with your family?" I asked. The last thing I wanted was for her to feel confined, I wanted her to feel normal.

"No!- No..." She shook her head. "Not today..." She cleared her throat and nodded as she blinked, and tried to smile. I nodded.

"Alright." I kissed her forehead again and stood up. "I'll be right back." I said as I walked out of the room. I heard a commotion downstairs that wasn't there when we had just come through. I jogged down the stairs towards the good smells; towards the sound of Frea teasing Owen and Durst laughing loudly at it.

"Hey guys what-" I stopped as I saw them.

I had almost forgotten.

There stood three little versions of my mother at different spots in the kitchen, helping Frea and Brian with breakfast, laughing with big grins on their faces.

"Hey Danny! Your little sisters are so sweet!" Alice said with a smile as she waved at me.

"And well behaved." Brian beamed up at me. Like three little beacons their cheeks went red as they looked up at me.

"Hello..." The one closest to me said in a quiet as a mouse voice, as she looked up from her mixing bowl, her big doe eyes glossing over. Instantly I knew who she was.