Chapter 20: First encounter

Start from the beginning

-I guess it's ok, as long as you're home by six, I said talking to the shut door.

I swear I heard a growling coming from her mouth. Why couldn't she just accept she wasn't gonna earn a thing by arguing? Besides, it wasn't so early after all. That's the time we serve dinner in this house.

-Can't it be 6.30 Steve? Six is so early, she complained from the other side of the door. That wasn't fair. To argue behind a shut door wasn't playing fair.

-Open the door Jill, I said while leaning against the wall and keeping my voice down.

I didn't want Cath to hear us arguing. Wasn't exactly a comfortable situation for anyone, and my sister was so not taking advantage of the fact that I had company to get out of her curfew.

-What?, she asked peeking her head outside the bedroom while I was staring at her eyes. I wanted to let her know I wasn't fooling around anymore.

-I'm only gonna say it once, I said using my stern voice, Be home by six. Not 6.30, not 6.05. Six pm sharp, understood?

-But..., she started complaining but instantly dropped it with a sigh, Finee. I'll be home by six, she said grabbing her beach bag (or one of them) and passed through me pretty much annoyed.

-Jill I mean it, I warned her while she was walking to the front door, Not even a minute late, I said and she turned around looking at me completely annoyed. She wasn't the girl that enjoys the fact of following rules, but that wasn't my problem. She needed some structure in her life after all.

I walked to where she was and when I was close enough she dropped the rebel attitude and looked at me with a warm smile. Totally predictable.

-I get it Stevie. I'll be home by six, I promise, she said while opening the front door, but when I tried to follow her to give her a goodbye kiss, I saw him standing right in front of me.

Oh, just great. Jill stood there looking at both of us as this kid was staring at me with his eyes widen. Oh come on. I'm not that scary, am I?

-Zeth, this is my brother Steve. Steve, this is Zeth Sattely, she said and then cleared her throat while looking at me. Probably was expecting me to be the one who takes the first step so I did.

-Hey, how are you doing?, I said as politely as I could while offering him my hand.

-Fine, thanks, he said while shaking my hand, Umm... we'll be back on time.

-Yeah, I expect you to do so, I said while folding my arms to Jill. She rolled her eyes avoiding my look, but she knew she'd be in huge trouble if she doesn't do as she was told to.

-See you Steve, Jill said while walking away with Zeth and I shut the door.

Yet I didn't come back with my girlfriend to the couch right away. I walked to the kitchen and peeked outside the window. There they were, walking towards the beach. Come on... keep on walking, that's right. Suddenly I saw Zeth grabbing my sister's hand in his, their fingers intertwined. Oh, just great!

-I'll kill him, I said behind my clenched teeth when someone cleared its throat behind me.

I turned around and saw my girlfriend standing in the middle of the kitchen, staring at me with her folded arms. Busted.

-So you wouldn't be capable of spying on your sister, huh?, Cath said while raising her eyebrow and I gulped.

-Well... this doesn't count, I said while holding her hand and pulling her right to my side, wrapping my arms around her body, Fine you got me, but it was for her safety only.