Chapter Twenty Three | Good By Now

____

You don't know I'm dying

Can't see my tear drops drying

We should be good by now

And baby ain't you tired?

Every night and day, running around in circles baby nothing ever changed

We should be good by now - Justine Skye

(huge thank you and shoutout to @||Stvtch||rfor suggesting this amazing song. Go check out her books!!)

_____

Essence

I sat comfortably on the couch with my feet propped up as I watched the movie, Baby Boy. It was around ten o'clock in the morning and Domani insisted on sleeping his poor and young life away, leaving me to fend fo myself. He was acting differently and I was afraid of the reason behind it all. I strugged it off as ate from the bowl of Apple Jacks cereal in my hands and continued to watch one of my favorite movies.

It's been a day or two since Domani and I have left the house and it was getting kind of depressing. He was acting out and I was in my feelings, which was a bad combination between the two of us. We slept, ate, watched TV, bathe, and the cycle repeated itself. It has been storming the past couple days too, which only made going outside sound more like a bad idea.

Once the movie went on commercial, I finished all of my cereal and sat the bowl of white milk down on the table. My phone started to buzz next to me on the sof, and I immediately recognized it as Money calling. I took a deep breath before I pressed answer, deciding not to be a bitch today and answer his calls.

"What do you want Mr.Johnson?" I asked in a bored tone as I fiddled with the hem of the spanx I wore. Obviously, I changed my mind about that decision, I'm a train wreck in the morning and I'm a bitch in the afternoon.

"Can I get Domani today? Adrian got a spot open for him to get a cut at one." he replied simply in his deep and baritone tone that I missed hearing oh so much. I found myself thinking about the simple things while we were apart and it just made my slight depression become worse.

"Of course Money. You can see your son whenever you want too, for the simple fact that he is, your son as well as he is mine. Now, staying over night is something different Money," I stated as I crossed my legs under me and rubbed my forehead. I didn't want to sound like the boss and like I make all of the decisions in our son's life, but I have to do what I have to do to ensure his safety.

Of course I knew that Money would do nothing to hurt his son and would protect him in every way possible if something was to happen, but why even put him in that predicament to have to do so? I've just been shaken up a bit after someone threatened our son's life and now that I knew why they did it, I had to be extremely cautious. Yes, things could happen here just as well as they could there, but I feel secure here.

"I understand that completely. I see you got the locks changed on the condo," he said casually. I bit my bottom lip and shook my head at his response. I was ahead of the game, I knew he would come here thinking his key would still work sooner or later. Sucks for him, those were changed from day one.

"Yeah, I see you've been stalking me." I retorted hastily in a calm tone.

"It aint stalkin' if I'm only checkin' up on what's mine by law. Babe, you and Domani are mine, aight? Act like you know that shit Essence." he said cockily and I rolled my eyes at his response. The fact that he was partially correct erked my nerves a bit more than necessary.