Chapter Ten | I'll Be There

_____

In those times when you feel all alone

Forced to find your way through worlds unknown

Look ahead and don't be scared

I'll be there

I'll be there through the rough winds, rain and ice

I'll be there when the nights falls and troubles rise

I'll be there when you need me

No matter what how or when

My friend, I'll be there - Tiffany Evans
_____

Essence

I tapped my Coach sneaker along the tiled floors as I impatiently waited for my dad's prescription to be re-filled. My nerves were bad, so tapping my foot was the only way I could cope. The past couple of days have been very hard on me, so today I decided to spend some time with my old man. After our house was invaded and someone basically threatened my son's life, we haven't been back there since then. Money goes by to get clothes for us, but I never went back and right now I never want to go.

I will not be somewhere where my son's life is put into danger. That boy means everything and more to me. It's my fault for the death of my first child, the full blame is on me. I put myself in that position of danger and lost my baby in the process. This time around, I don't care who or what, I will protect my son at all cost. I couldn't bare to lose another child, and if it's up to me, I won't have to. From the day that I seen my child after being released, I vowed to always protect him.

As of now, the three of us are staying at my old condo when I left Money a couple years ago. I'd bought it, so we'd always have it until we decided to sell the place. It became of good use now though, so I'm glad we kept it. We've been staying there going on a week now and I've actually gotten quite comfortable in the small space. I still have the paranoia of whomever it was finding us again, but I just put the faith in God to allow us to make it through each night.

"Johnson," the woman from the counter called and I hopped up to my feet with the quickness. I went straight over there and took his prescription from her hands. I placed it in my shopping cart, before making my way towards the counter to pay all of my things. I'd got him medicine alonh with some soup, crackers, and Gatorade that he had requested for me. I'd also picked up some snack foods and Gatorades for us as well to hold us over until we could go actual grocery shopping.

It didn't take me long to purchase all of the things and get them into the trunk of my BMW before pulling off from the store. I headed towards my dad's house with a slight smile on my face. I was always happy to see him, no matter what. We'd just been together about a week ago, but I could never get enough of my father's presence. He was the only parent that I had, so I was going to embrace the feeling forever. He was so different from my mom, it was a good difference, God rest her soul.

After a couple of minutes of driving, I was parking behind his F150 truck in the driveway and stepping out of the car. I was dressed simple in a Victoria Secret's PINK burgundy hoodie, with dark denim jeans, and a pair of brown Coach sneakers. My hair was pulled up into a high ponytail and I had 5 carat studs in my ear. I was dressed very simple today at the beginning of the December month. It was cold, so I had to keep warm.

I rang the doorbell a couple of times and waited on the porch with the bags in my hand. The wind was whipping past my fast and it made my cheeks go numb. Within seconds, he'd opened the door and my smile resumed as I saw him. I walked in and gave him a side hug while he placed a kiss on my forehead. These were some of the things I loved about having a father. He just made me feel loved, protected, and cared about when around him. I lacked all of those things from my mother.