Chapter Twenty | Resentment

_____

I wish I could believe you

Then I'll be alright

But now everything you told me

Really don't apply

To the way I feel inside

Loving you was easy

Once upon a time

But now my suspicions of you

Have multiplied

And it's all because you lied - Beyonce
______

Essence

I pulled on a pair of thick, black leggings that were warm inside to keep me comfortable in this cool February weather. I paired my tights with an oversized burgundy sweater, burgundy long socks and a pair of black sparkly Ugg boots. I wrapped a black scarf around my neck and looked in the mirror at myself. I looked pretty, simple, and decent enough to be seen outside of the house.

Money had gone only God knows where early this morning and Domani had gone to his grandma's house until later. One thing about Mrs.Nyla was that she loved her grandkids and she got them at least once a week to give all of us parents a break from our daily duties. I needed it very much, because it seems that after Domani turned two, he turned into a little devil. I loved my baby boy to pieces, but he is really a hand full these days.

I grabbed the keys to my candy apple red BMW and my black crossbody purse as I headed down the stairs. It was a quarter until three and I had to get to Marcus' house before then. After he pratically begged me to have dinner with him and his female dog again, I couldn't help but to give in to his wishes and say yes. I didn't want to go, but I loved Marcus and this had to mean a lot to him.

I locked up the house and set the alarm before hopping into my car. Within seconds, I was on the road headed towards Marcus' place, but stopped by the fresh market first to grab a bottle of wine. I was dreading being in the presence of this girl, but I was doing this for Marcus. I took deep breaths and remembered to have a positive attitude for the sake of my one and only brother.

Once I pulled up into his driveway, I parked behind his Dodge Charger and stepped out of the car. Marcus had a nice medium sized house in the city and it was nice. He had scored a job being a basketball coach for a high school and he loved it with a passion. When he got the chance, he came and picked up Domani and they went to play ball sometimes. Those were two things he loved, kids and basketball.

I stepped out of the car with the bottle in my hand and advanced towards his front door. I rang the bell a few times and within seconds it opened and Marcus stood there with an apron tied around his neck and waist. An automatic smile took over my face as I walked into my brother's arms and hugged him tight. Our father's death only brought us closer, rest his poor soul.

"Hey baby sis, how you?" he asked as he kissed my forehead and closed the door back shut. He then released my from his grasp and took the bottle of red wine from my hands before he walked back to the kitchen with me hot on his trail.

"I'm breathing, so I can't complain too much. What about you?" I asked as I sat down on a bar stool at his countertop. He put the wine on ice and then went back to taking the food out of the oven and putting it on serving platters.

"Life is pretty good for me, job is goin' good, love life is goin' good, sister is doing good, so I have nothin' to complain about." he smirked as he took the chicken breast and carried the clear platter into the living room. I grabbed the bowl of rice and brought it out onto the dinner table. I noticed Danielle sitting on the sofa in the den texting away at her phone. I rolled my eyes as I went back to help Marcus. I really don't get why he liked this tramp.