Chapter 18: Early mornings

-Maybe. I borrowed it last night to go to sleep, but sure you don't mind, do you brother?, she smiled sweetly at me, like every time she senses she's in trouble.

-First my cereal, then my bed, I told her counting with my fingers, Then you kidnapped my girlfriend and made her your partner in crime and now you stole my own clothes!

-Well what can I say, she said raising her hands, I like your stuff Steven. This shirt is soooo cool and comfy.

-Three Jillians could fit in that shirt, I said pointing to the fact that it was HUGE for her size, but she didn't care apparently.

I don't get women. First they complain that they're fat and that they want to be skinny so they can wear tight clothes... then they steal your shirts that are three times their size.

-Hmp I'd say it's the other way around, she said dropping the joke and I frowned in response of her comment, Fine I won't say another word about it.

-AND you'll eat all your cereal, I said placing a bowl in front of her.

I don't get why she suddenly comes up with those kind of comments about her weight. Besides of the fact that she's absolutely perfect on that aspect, she only seems to feel guilty in the mornings. For the rest of the day she doesn't say a peep about that particular subject.

We ate our breakfast pretty much quiet. Me, of course, knew that at some point before I leave she'd ask about my decision. Actually I've been sure of my decision since last night, but I didn't want to tell her in that moment. Honestly? I didn't want her to go with Zeth. He seemed like a nice guy and all that, but I just couldn't tell my own sister: Go and make out with this guy that I don't know who he is. I mean, that's not what old brothers do, but since I'm in a different position, I'm her guardian not only her brother, I needed to see this in a different perspective. Besides Cath will bust my ass if I tell her no without an excuse. Not that it counts in this, but I knew she'd make me see that I'm acting like an overprotective idiot.

-So, Jill said while mixing the last pieces of cereal in her plate with the milk, Have you thought about it Stevie?

-Well yes, I did, I said clearing my throat before speaking, Ok, I guess you can go with Zeth BUT, I said barely she smiled, You need to promise me that you won't go far, that you'll call me to tell me where you are and that you won't do anything stupid. And you know what I mean.

-I know, I know. I'll try to keep myself safe while you're not around. I promise, she said getting up and hugging me tight, Thank you, thank you, thank you Stevie.

-You're welcome kiddo, I said hugging her back, What time are you leaving?

-Well Zeth's sleeping now, like the rest of the normal world I believe, she said rolling her eyes, So I guess I'll see him later.

-Ok, just text me when you leave ok? And..., I was about to say when she cut me off.

-Steve I get it. Text you when I leave, tell you where I am and not doing anything stupid, she said with a giggle and after kissing my cheek she locked herself in her bedroom, thing that reminded me that she STILL had my shirt on. Forget about it Steve. You've lost it forever.

I told Jill to wash the dishes before she leaves and left my place to go to work. We had Roy Taylor in custody, and I needed to get a confession from him before some stupid lawyer sets him free. We had strong evidence, but you never know. Usually, these guys know how to do their jobs and dismiss all the evidence we worked our ass to get. That's not gonna happen this time. No matter how tough this guy thinks he is, he'll sing like a bird once I get a bit hard on him.