Chapter 18: Early mornings

Start from the beginning

I had a strange dream, that even when it wasn't a nightmare, it was pretty scary. I dreamed that mom was here to pick up Jill. The little one had her arms around my neck and she didn't want to let go. I kept on whispering into her ear that it was fine, that she could come again on winter recess, even next summer, whenever she wanted. That it wouldn't be so long until we see each other again. I actually had a few tears choked down my throat, but I tried to be strong as much as I could. For moments it was the 5 years old Jill, and for other moments it was 13 Jill again, both crying like crazy. All I could think was that I didn't want let go of my sister. I didn't want her to go away, not even for five minutes.

Something called my attention when I woke up next day, something that inside of the dream was perfectly normal, but in real life could never be. Mom was standing in front of her silver car, holding a strange guy's hand. It was no stranger, it was my dad. I couldn't believe that detail didn't call my attention while being asleep. Now I think about it and it was completely crazy.

I sat down on the couch rubbing the back of my neck and cracking my back. Damit couch, I'll sell you too along with Jillian's bed. You're both absolutely useless. I went to my bed to grab some clothes to get changed after my shower and saw Jill sleeping across my bed, absolutely knocked out. Hmp, couldn't she use just ONE side of the bed? Totally unfair to get kicked of your own dorm. Once I took a shower that took the pain on my back away and got changed I made my way to my room to wake up Jill. She was so deep asleep that she was snoring. God, help me to wake up this kid. It'd take much of my energy for the day to do so.

-Jill? Come on, it's time to wake up already, I said gently shaking her body to wake her up.

She mumbled something I didn't got to hear and dig deeper and deeper into the sheets to avoid sun light, like some kind of mole. No matter how deep she could dig, she wasn't escaping from my wake up call.

-Sis come on, don't give me trouble so early, I joked caressing her hair while talking to her. Eventually, and very slowly, she came out of the sheets, still laying down, looking at me with her eyes narrowed.

-What's with you and sunrising brother? This is just not normal, she whined before burying her face again against the mattress.

-I believe night is for sleeping and day for working, I said patting her back, Lucky you, you don't have to work, but I do.

-Go and have fun then. I'll wait for you right here, she said covering her head with a pillow.

I stood up right next to the bed, wondering what to do next. I didn't want to fight with her so early, so I decided to be a little bit more straight with my wake up call.

-Alright, I said shrugging my shoulders, If you're not going to take your butt to the kitchen to have breakfast, I'll have to do it myself.

With this I grabbed her by her legs and put her over my shoulder. Lucky me, God gave me this physical advantage over my sister. If she's not going to wake up, then I'll do it for her. Not really a major problem.

-Mmmmmh put me down Steveen, she mumbled with a lame effort to make me put her back on her feet.

Probably she was enjoying the fact that she didn't have to move a muscle at all. I sat her down on the kitchen table and made my way to the fridge to find something to eat. Probably we'd end up eating cereal again. Not really a problem honestly.

When I turned around something called my attention, so I asked her about it.

-Tell me..., I said carefully analyzing at her outfit,... is that my shirt?, I asked pointing to the white and black shirt she was wearing. It was huge of course, because it was MINE. I'll arrest my own sister for stealing my bed and shirt.