Chapter 17: Opening up

Start from the beginning

I decided I didn't want to think about it anymore, but since that was the only thought my brain could produce for the moment, I took a deep nap once Cath was gone and ignored the texts of my phone. I only woke up when Steve called a couple of times, and I answered pretty upset. Another great thing. Once he gets home, I'll have some explaining to do.

Steve's POV

-Can you tell me what the hell you think you're you doing Steven?, Danny's angry voice suddenly surprised me.

I jumped back looking at him with my eyes widen. Busted. Totally busted.

-Is that there's no privacy anymore?, I answered pretty upset with him. Actually, more upset because I got caught red hand. I hate when it happens, especially when I get caught by Danny.

-Look who's talking, he said folding his arms on his chest and giving my laptop and myself a disapproving look.

Since we finished with this case I decided to do something for my sister's case. I opened the database of the police department on my computer and searched that boy that was stalking her, Zeth Sattely. I was checking his record when Danny surprised me. I could tell he was not happy at all. Ugh, what was he? My father?

-What? He's on the police's database. That's not private, I said closing my laptop and trying to walk through him, but Danny didn't let me.

-Oh right, so you're not invading your sister's privacy by using your police resources to check on this guy record. What did he do Steve? Stole a candy bar?, Danny asked me mocking of me, as usual.

-No. Apparently he was involved in a public disturbance a few months ago Danny, I countered frowning at him taking this matter seriously.

Couldn't he just let me do my job? I just wanted to protect Jill. I was doing the right thing as her older brother.

-Please Steven! You don't know what that could have been. What? Now you're gonna tell me you've never been into a street fight? YES, we both were. Does that makes us all criminals? NO. For God's sake!

-Alright, alright! You're right, I said admitting defeat and rubbing the back of my neck, I know I'm being paranoiac, but don't you think I have the right to? I could have lost my sister back there.

There were a couple of minutes filled only my my nervous finger tapping over my desk and Danny clearing his throat. Finally he sighed and looked at me.

-I know dude, I understand, he said looking away, I'm only saying that if your sisters finds out about this... well, she won't be happy about it, and you can't blame her for it.

-I'll tell her anyway, I said and sighed as well, I have so many things to tell her, but it never seems to be the right moment to talk about those stuff.

-Take an advice: just go and tell her. Trust me, if you wait till the perfect moment appears, then you'll wait for an eternity, he said patting my back to cheer me up.

-Thanks dude, but those lectures of yours are seriously getting annoying, I added with a smirk. Then I headed to my car.

Jill should be home, since it were six o'clock already. I told her she could stay out until then, so I was hoping she'd obey. I really wanted to tell her everything already, but it seemed too much for just one night: first of all, tell her that I checked on Zeth's records and what I had found. Second, to tell her all what happened since I was 15 till now, the SEALs thing and all that. And third... yeah, I wasn't ready for that yet. I didn't even know how to tell her that my father is not actually her father. How to explain to your sister that your mother betrayed her husband and she got pregnant from another guy that I don't even know? Not exactly an easy story to tell, and it shouldn't be me the one to give her explanations about it. Once again, mom just put on my back a responsibility that it's not mine.