Chapter 17: Opening up

Start from the beginning

How's that I can't control my tongue when he's around? What I just said sounded so stupid and clichè when I repeated it in my head.

-I know what you mean, he said with his sweet giggle, My parents and I used to snowboard in Wachusett. It felt like real freedom, you're right.

-Wow, I said smiling to him, That sounds like real fun, but I don't really like the snow. It's so cold and your feet get wet.

He laughed about my comment, and I just felt stupid again. But it was alright to be stupid, because we had so much fun. I felt like I could tell him anything and he wouldn't believe I'm immature. I was right after all. Me and Brian needed to date people of our own age, because otherwise, I'd never feel like I'm 13. I've always been looking forward to look older than I actually am, so I could be comfortable around Brian. I wasn't ready to do that yet. I wanted to feel stupid, and do stupid things and have a summer love. It was my right after all.

He was still not asking me out, but I decided not to ask him about it. Maybe it wasn't the right time, and I was having such a good time with him and his friends. Even Fred, who was pretty much repulsive with me when I met him, started treating me nicely. But all that fun came to an end when Cath called saying that she'd pick me up for lunch. Never mind. I have my phone back, and I can see Zeth whenever I want. Of course, as long as I don't get into trouble. Ugh, great. Now Steven can use this against me. That just sucks.

Cath picked me up and took me to Steve's place. She said she'd cook something for me, but honestly? I didn't trust her. Steve you know... he can cook, but honestly, he's not the best I've seen. And Cath well, she seemed pretty much like him.

-So how did your date go?, she asked me while looking for some food in the fridge. Good luck with that girl. Must be pretty empty.

-It wasn't a date really, I said sitting down on the counter with extreme care since my butt was still pretty much sore, Janey I don't know why he hasn't asked me out yet. It seems that he likes me, and I like him, why is this so hard?

-Relax girl, she said with smile, He's a guy. They're all cowards you know. You just keep it cool, someday he'll ask you out. I'm sure of it.

-Yeah but... what if he doesn't ask me out for some reason?, I said when this tiny, tiny thought crossed my mind. Something that starts with girl and ends with friend.

-What could that be?, she said looking at me and I looked back at her with my eyes widen, Oh no, you're not thinking...?, she said next and I nodded my head, No, I don't think so Jill. I guess his friends or even himself would have said something about it, a slip at least, don't you think?

-I know it sounds crazy, but it could be, I said looking outside the window. I just wanted to have a normal date with a normal and cute guy. Just ONE.

-Jill, I don't think that's the case but... well I guess you'll find out sooner or later. There's not much you can do, she said putting our meal in the oven.

-It sucks, I said with a frustrated growl.

-Don't worry sweetie, she said smiling to me and leaning over the counter, Don't think about it too much. Like I said, you're young. You can have all the dates that you want, and I'm still sure you're thinking wrong.

I tried that Zeth's girlfriend thought doesn't eat my head, but unfortunately it did. Not that I already pictured us as a future couple (ok, maybe I did once or twice), but still I really wanted to know him as something else than a good friend. I knew we could be great friends, but that wasn't enough for me. Ugh, how's that I didn't see this coming? I mean, the guy is absolutely gorgeous and charming, why in heaven would he be single? Is that all the girls in Hawaii are blind?