Chapter 31

Avery's POV:

I walked into the dull hallway Monday morning, the stale chilly air sweeping through corridor. I heard murmurs between friends of the awesome parties they went to over the weekend as I headed towards my locker.

"Hey! Ave!" A familiar voice called from in front of me and I look up, it's Brett and I turn the other direction.

"Hey! Wait up." He calls after me and I can see a few questioning glances being shot our way and I keep speeding down the hall, I hate him for what he did.

As the girls bathroom approaches in my sight line I sprint towards the door. And the second I'm inside I let out a breath of relief.

I heard his foot steps outside and his fist slamming against the door.

"Avery! What the hell? I know you heard me calling. Are you still mad? Princess let me explain." He yells through the door and it takes everything in me not to go out there and tell him off.

"Ave?" He calls quietly and I hear him sigh and walk away. I slowly walk towards the door and make sure he gone.

This is going to be one hell of a challenge avoiding him, I can tell you that.

I slip of to class and thankfully Brett doesn't show up, he's probably off somewhere with Maddie just like she wanted.

The morning flys by in a second and the next thing I know it's lunch. My mind is full of worries and the calm feeling that I had over the weekend has officially vanished. I had some crazy idea everything would be the same without Brett but damn was I wrong.

As I sit down next to Jase and Parker my worries start to dim and I know my friends are here for me, no matter what.

"Hey guys." A voice calls and my heart sinks, it's Brett, how could I think that he wouldn't be here? These are his friends before they were ever mine.

"Babe save me a seat I'm gonna buy a water." Maddie's bitch voice cooes and I look up to see Brett nod. His eyes are locked in me though and I divert my gaze in a second and angrily sigh.

I unwrap my sandwich and spit it with Jase, cramming my half in my mouth so I can't talk even if I tried.

It was unnecessary though because Brett didn't try talking to me at all during lunch. He stopped trying to explain. All he did was flirted with Maddie, joked with the boys and had a grape fight with Violet.

Not a single glance or word was ever sent my way, it was like I wasn't even there. I can't lie, it fucking hurt and I know this is what I'm doing to him but it sucks. Now that he's not offering it I want an explanation but I never will. It's the principle of the thing. On the bright side I didn't have to try hard to mad at him.

"Everything okay?" I feel a nudge on my shoulder and I look up at Jase whose staring at me with worried eyes.

"I'm fine, just thinking." I reassure him and continue eating as Jase rubs small circles on my back.

"You know I'm always here." He smiles showing his adorable dimples.

I smile for the first time all day.

"I know."

The bell rings signaling the end of lunch and I grab Parker by the forearm and drag him towards the class.

My mood hit a sudden pick me up and I laugh at his face as I drab him down the hall.

"Come on park! Let's go!" I say in a sing-song voice and he laughs as he catches up to me.

"You're a strange one Avery." He teases as we take our seats in class, this won't be too bad.

"Well I'm taking a nap wake me if something interesting happens." I instruct him as I lay my head down on the desk and Parker chuckles and nods as I begin to doze.

"Ave, wake up." My arm is being shaken and I immediately sit up.

"Hmmm?" I mumble not wanting to open my eyes.

"Class is over you dork." He informs me as he ruffles my hair and I scowl.

"Well that was rude." I say as I pick up my bag and follow him out the door.

"See you tomorrow." He calls and I wave. I stroll towards shop class still half asleep from my nap.

I walk past the bungalows to the auto shop in corner of the campus. It's not until I get to the two grey steel doors that it hits me.

I'm partners with Brett, how can I ignore someone who I have to fix a damn car with?

I contemplate ditching for a few minutes until the late bell rings and Mr Benz comes outside and sees me standing there.

"Well you going inside or not?" He jokes and lightly chuckle and walk towards the door.

"Get going on your cars." He instruct the class and I walk down to the last car hoping Brett did what I wasn't able to and just ditch.

"Hey princess." He teases as I walk up to the car and I sigh in frustration, maybe if I just don't talk to him he'd leave me alone to work.

I pick up a rag and some tire shine, I'm not in the mood to do anything too productive today.

I bend over and being shining the hub caps without a word to Brett.

"Here let me help." He whispers huskily in my ear as he wraps his arms around my waist and backs me up into the door.

I turn away and try to get out of his grip and go back to work but he just won't let me.

He moves my hair out of my face and begins running his fingers up and down my arm.

"Brett, stop." I warn but it doesn't mask the pain in my voice. The second I say something he lets go and turns away leaning against the trunk.

"I'm sorry, I needed to know you still spoke." He says flatly, laughing dryly at the end in an attempt to lighten the mood.

"Are you still mad at me?" He asks softly and I catch a glance at him from the corner of my eye.

"Naw really? Of course I am you perv." I say turning away from him.

"Stop being so stubborn and just let me explain." He frowns at me while placing a hand on my knee and turning me towards him again.

"I don't want to. Brett I've always thought you weren't as bad as you pretend to be but after Friday I-." I spill as I look up at him with watery eyes.

"Fine, think that." he sighs sadly and looks down at me, "but I'm not going to stop talk to you." He says with a smirk as he ruffles my hair and smack his hand away.

"Just get back to work." I sigh turning back to the car.