Chapter 27

Avery's POV:

I slip on my high tops and grab a bagel as I wait for Jase to text me he's here to drive me to school.

It's the same routine every day.

I stuff the last bit of bagel in my mouth and pull my backpack onto my shoulder.

A knock on the door startles me I hesitantly open the door, secretly hoping it's not a murderer or a Girl Scout.

"Brett?" I ask surprised with a mouth full of bagel he's not really someone I want to see.

"Get in the car, I'm takin you to school." he says flatly with his signature smirk plastered all over his face.

"I'm not getting in the car." I say trying to finish swallowing the bagel that I so stupidly crammed into my mouth and also trying to avoid talking to him more than I have to.

"Get in the car." he says quickly.
"No" I reply flatly.
"Get in the car."
"No!"
"Get in the car."
"Noooooo"

We continue on for a few minutes of absolute stupidity.

"Avery just get in the damn car." He his in a hissy as he gestures to his car parked in front of my house with the engine running.

"I'm not getting in the fucking car!" I retort as slam the door shut. His foot stops it from shutting and he swing it open again.

"Get in the car." he says sweetly and I roll my eyes, were not even friends again and he's doing his obnoxious games he always has to play.

My phone buzzes with a text from Jase.

"Jase is two blocks away, I'm not gonna ride with you Brett." I say sternly as I open my bag to put my phone away.

"Fine." he says and I sigh in relief.

Too soon.

In one swoop, he has successfully taken my phone, and left towards his car and pissed me off. And he's done all this in a matter of seconds.

"Gimme my fucking phone!" I whine as I grab my bag and run out after him, I don't have time to be playing tag with a 17 year old.

"Than get in the car babe." he teases as he waves the phone through the passenger window.

"I fucking hate you, and don't call me babe." I grumble as I give in and slip into the passenger seat.

He hands me my phone and I give him a nasty glare. I text Jase telling him not to pick me up. I feel like a jerk but I didn't really have a choice.

"Buckle up." he says with a devilish look in his eyes.

"Why? Are you worried about my safety?" I tease in a baby voice as the car begins to drive down the street.

"You wish." he says and the car suddenly jolts to the other lane and than back.

"What the hell?!" I yell as turn to face Brett who is currently laughing his ass off. I take a second to let my heart beat normally.

I look back over at him and his smug expression and I pull my seat belt on. I scoff and roll my eyes punching him playfully in the shoulder.

"Fuck you." I say sternly but comes out between airy laughs.

He smiles and laughs a little, "i mean I'm driving but I can pull over if you want?" He offers slowing down the car and I flip him off and he throws his head back laughing and continues to drive off to school.

---

We pull into a parking spot and I hop out of the car. The second I step out I'm blinded by the reflection of some random cars mirror. Great way to start a morning.

I look around for Brett but of course he's already gone.

I walk into the building and quickly make my way to my locker. I only have five minutes before the bell rings and I have to put my books away or I'll be luging them around all day.

When I'm in view of my locker I see Jase waiting for me. I take a deep breath getting ready to explain what happened with the ride this morning.

"Why'd you cancel?" He ask as I dial in my combo to the locker.

I lean over and peck him on the cheek before explaining.

"Sorry babe. I didn't really have a choice Brett took my phone hostage." I laughed with him as he ruffled my hair.

"Well I'm glad you got it back,ill walk you to class." he says with a sweet smile and I put my books in my locker then shut it.

"Love to." I grin as we walk down the halls.

"So does this mean you and Brett are friends again?" He asks after a few moments of silence.

"Honestly I don't even know." I sigh and slow down since we're reaching my classroom and I still want to finish talking to him.

"Okay. just don't replace me." he teases and pecks me on the four head.

"I never could." I say with a genuine smile.

He slowly lean in and smiles against my lips, "good." He whispers and slowly connects our lips as they dance in sync.

The warning bell rings and pulls us away from each other.

"I'll see you later." he says as he jogs down the hall waving as I walk into the classroom.

I take a seat in the back and pull out my notebook and a pen. I uncap the little black beauty and begin yet another pen-tattoo.

I see a streak of mint green walk into the class about six minutes in and I immediately look up knowing my best friend finally decided to come to class for once.

"Look who decided to show up." I whisper as she takes a seat next to me and sticks her tongue out at me and smirks.

"I've been a little... Busy." She answers and pulls out a notebook full of doodles. I laugh and go back to my ink sleeve of pen-tattoos.

The class drags on and by the time it's over my whole left arm is full of black ink and silly little drawings.

"You better be there at lunch." I warn Violet as she turns down the hall in the opposite direction.

"Of course we have a lot of catching up to do." She says with a smirk and I walk off to my next class.

The halls are crowded and I manage to shove my way through.

As I turn the corner of the building I can see out of the corner of my eyes Brett eating face with none other than Maddie: Cheerleading Bitch Queen.

I can't take my eyes off of them no matter how hard I try, I mean have some respect people.

I keep walking to class but I know that I'm gonna have to walk by them since they are near my class door. Plus, to make it even worse I think Brett just saw me staring.

"Do you want some?" Brett asks with a smirk when I get a few steps away from them.

"Fuck off." I says as I turn into the classroom and I hear his chuckles from behind me.

I guess the player in him has finally returned.