Chapter 16: A short walk on the beach

Start from the beginning

-Wow, he said looking at me, You look older than me to be honest.

-Are you calling me old?, I teased raising an eyebrow and he sat down closer to me. Remember: breathe.

-Not at all, he said giving me his sweet smile, But you seem so.. mature, I don't know.

-Well that's your opinion, I said laughing. I'm not mature at all, even when sometimes I have some thoughts that are unfortunately more mature than they should. I should behave like my age: exactly thirteen.

-Hey, do you wanna come with us?, he said tilting his head, pointing to his group of friends that were surfing on the coast. Actually, they were like sliding the shortboards on the water near to the cost, not really surfing. Curious thing, I've never seen something like that before.

-I don't know, I tried to decline, You know I...

-Come on, don't be shy, he said helping me to get up by holding my hand, They're pretty cool people, and we can teach you to surf with shortboards.

-It's just that, I tried again, My brother doesn't really let me go into the water alone yet. He wants me to learn about 'safety' and all that crap before I can catch a wave on my own.

-Don't worry, he said smiling to me, We won't . The water won't get to your knees. Come on, he said taking me with him till where his friends were.

First they were all staring at me, and the girls were giggling and whispering. I felt kind of uncomfortable, but Zeth wrapped an arm around my shoulders and introduced me to the group. Oh God.

-So Zeth, who's your friend here?, a blond guy asked smiling charmingly to me. Not my type dude. I'm not into blondes, no offenses.

-Don't bother Fred, Zeth said narrowing his eyes to him, Guys this is Jill. She's new in the island, he said before pointing at two hawaiian native looking girls, These are Megan, her cousin Sally, That's Cody and you know Fred, he said pointing him at the end.

Apparently he has the same wit as Danny. Ugh, just perfect.

-So miss Jillian, Fred said laying on his board, Where are you from?

-I'm from Boston, I said raising a brow to him, And you are from a galaxy far, far away, right?, I said looking at his Stars War shirt.

At first I felt kinda bad, because I thought his friends would defend him. Instead, they burst in laughs looking at his shocked face. Well what can I say, I have my smart moments. Unfortunately, I have many of those when my brother's around, and he doesn't appreciate my comments like them.

-I already love you, Megan said standing by my side, So you're from Boston? Hey a haole just like you Zeth.

-Yeah you know, Sally said looking at me with a smile, He used to be an outsider, but we already turned him into a local. We're gonna have to do the same with you.

-I'd love to, I said with a grin, Well at least for the rest of the summer. I um... kinda getting back home you know.

That was so unfair. I didn't want to get back home. I really liked these guys, and Zeth of course. I was gonna miss him so bad when I'm gone, but at least I'm gonna enjoy it while it last.

-So how did you two met?, Cody said pointing to us with his head. Ugh, not my favorite story. Neither Zeth's, apparently.

-I sort of ran into her on a wave, he said rubbing his neck as Cody instantly glared at him, It's just that I didn't see her coming!, Zeth tried to defend himself but everyone was frowning at him.

Wow, I didn't know what he did was so bad. I mean, it was an accident, right?

-Dude!, Cody said face-palming himself.