Chapter Eighty

𝓥𝓲𝓸𝓵𝓮𝓽

"Heyy," Dominic seemed particularly cheery as he called me that evening. "I just landed - waiting for my bags." Noise clambored on around him.

"Hi. How was the flight?" I asked, moving back the covers of my bed.

"Alright," he cursed under his breath. "I'm so tired. It's almost 2 in the morning."

I looked at my clock - six hours ahead of me then. "Oh. I'm sorry."

He let out a breathy laugh, "it's okay, love. Tell me about your day."

I thought back to the therapy group that Clara and I had started. It was an hour long session - to which Rebekka would ask a question, some would answer, mostly Christopher. He was talkative and very open - strangely - about his experiences.

I swallowed, "um... Clara and I started going to therapy... today was our first session."

"Really?" He paused, his voice sounded strained, as if he was lifting something, and far-away. "Violet, that's beyond great. Did you like it? How'd it go?"

I thought back to it. I didn't say much during the session, I didn't say much in general. Clara has always been the more "talkative" one. She spoke some, but never more than ten words.

"... Not really. Clara did more of the talking."

"Mhmm. This is good for you, Violet. I'm glad you two started going."

A small smile tugged at my lips.

"So, was it just the two of you?" Something dropped onto the floor, echoing in the airport. French dialect went on around him.

"A group... There were four others," I counted on my fingers. The plump one, Seth, listened to Rebekka as if she were some well-known professor, as if she were explaining time travel. He was deeply into the conversations. His wife was very quiet, offering comments every now and then, but she never said much - just kept a firm hand on her stomach.

Elisha never said a word. She seemed half-there, as if her mind was on something else.

"Nice," I said. "They seem nice."

"Good," he paused, someone was speaking to him. He turned to me, "hey, I'm gonna have to let you go, okay? I'll talk to you in the morning - you're morning."

I could almost see him smile.

"Oh, okay... Bye." I felt a twinge of sadness. The phone call was so short.

"Goodnight, Violet."