Chapter Sixty-One

𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓪

I was working at the flower shop now with Violet. Today was my first day. Mary-Lee showed me how to work the antique cash register and then the details concerning flowers.

It was all fairly easy. I felt comfortable being surrounded by women instead of the mix of men added in. Something about the flowers as well made me feel okay.

I thought about the flowers we used to plant at the orphanage and how much Violet loved to transplant and replace them with new ones.

I looked across to her as she wrapped a boutique with shiny white ribbon and stuck a plain card inside. There was a small smile on her lips as she worked.

Violet and I would be working together tonight while Mary-Lee went out to celebrate Marley's birthday. She must have been over forty now.

Violet still didn't speak to me as much as she usually did, though that itself was very little. So, when Mary-Lee and Marley left that evening around five, the flower shop went quiet quickly as if the older women had stolen every inch of sound and jubilance.

Violet took a broom and began to sweep around the cases, taking up every loose leaf and petal on the floor.

I started to shiver, finding the room a little cold for my liking.

After she had finished, she put the broom away and then glanced at the clock, looking over at me in a shy manner. "Do you want to go on break first?"

Despite the growl in my stomach, I waved for Violet to go ahead, remembering that she hadn't eaten anything since the sandwiches I made at noon.

I watched as she went and then glanced to the windows, watching as every so often a car passed by and the sun as it set in an array of pinks and reds.

The clouds began to stretch into thin, long lines, the streetlamps turned on, and a motorcycle parked just in front of the shop.

Wait...

I looked back to the window and watched as Owen pulled the helmet from his head and ruffled his hair with the other.

How did he know I was here?

The door opened, and the little bell rang. He looked at me with a small smile as he tucked the helmet under his arm.

"How -"

"I went over to the Café pretty much every day and finally asked about you. Someone told me you worked here." He explained, striding closer until he stood in front of me, the counter offering some space. "You know what, that might seem creepy," he laughed softly. "I didn't mean for that."

I shivered, nodding as I turned my gaze from him to my hands.

"How long have you been working here?" He asked.

"... Today's my first day."

"Ah... I can't tell if you're just really cold or if you're just that scared." He leaned closer, placing a hand on the counter.

I glanced at him, "cold."

He nodded, placed his helmet on the counter, and began to take off one of his jackets. He leaned across the counter, placing it over my shoulders. I flinched, drawing backward slightly as he did so.

"Do you mind if I hang around here for a while? My sister doesn't get off till eight."

I nodded, hesitantly, and watched as he placed his helmet on the counter once again.