Chapter Seventeen

𝓥𝓲𝓸𝓵𝓮𝓽

Marley asked about my trip to Florida. Mary-Lee stood by, checking off orders on a clipboard as she listened. Recently, requests for bouquets and table flower arrangements for a local wedding had been placed that evening, the wedding being the very next day.

Marley had been frustrated with the last-minute order, and so, both her and Mary-Lee, along with the daily take of customers, we're frantically trying to finish the wedding order before nine that night.

"The trip was good," I said, grabbing my materials for another bouquet. "Swimming and a game," I added, remembering the swimsuit Katie had bought me and the way I was led out onto the beach to join with a game involving a bottle. Dominic, pulling me in between his legs. His hands grazing my arms, lifting me onto his lap. The way he asked me to stay with him. He carried me across the balcony to his room. Sleeping there beside him.

A deep red swelled across my face. I looked down.

Marley noticed, bumping her side with mine playfully with a smile on her face. "Seems to me there was more than just a game and some swimming."

I smiled, trying to push the memory away.

"Was it that young man that's always coming in here?" Marley asked.

I nodded, making myself focus on the bouquet.

Marley smiled and then nodded with a pleased expression on her face. "He's so tall and quite the looker." She tilted her head thoughtfully, "but then you're a real beauty. That red hair," she admired, gently taking one of my strands. "You're kind as well. No wonder he likes you so much."

She thought I was beautiful?

"I- Thank you."

"Who are we talking about over here?" Mary-Lee shuffled over, speaking slowly as she usually did.

"Violet's little boyfriend," Marley said. "That one tall fella that's always dropping her off."

"Oh, that tall young man. Now, I don't think little is quite the right word there," she gave a small laugh. Marley smiled and then turned towards me. "Why don't you tell us a little bit about him? As far as I know he's just the guy that's always hanging around."

I smiled, feeling slightly embarrassed with the attention, and started talking.