Chapter Twenty-Seven

𝓥𝓲𝓸𝓵𝓮𝓽

After Macy provided me with some bandages, we drove back into town and stopped at the Cafe. Clara would be working today.

We went inside and ordered. I smiled when I saw Clara. She looked tired; strands of her strawberry blonde hair fell from her braid as she worked, framing her face. I couldn't help but admire the way she looked.

She looked content and at ease. She looked beautiful.

She was making coffee's, going back and forth to make sure the order was perfectly correct and then writing names down on the cups.

When we got to the counter, I smiled when Clara made eye contact with me. She looked at me, reciprocating a subtle smile.

We put in our orders. I got a small hot chocolate.

We stepped aside. I watched through the glass case as Clara made our orders. For the first time I wondered what Clara wanted to do. Did she have a dream job? What was she wanting to do with her life? Did she like working at the cafe?

I never asked these questions, but suddenly in that moment, I felt an intense desire to know.

She put our orders on top the wooden slab. Macy grabbed a napkin and headed to a table outside. I looked back at Clara before following, but she was busy with work.

I took a sip of my hot chocolate before sitting down beside Katie.

"That was fun," Katie said. "We should do it again sometime."

Macy nodded, putting down her beverage, and looking out across the road before nodding towards my hands. "Do they still hurt?"

I shook my head.

Katie looked at me, a little perplexed. "You've been very quiet today, V."

I glanced at her, "I don't have anything to say."

This was true, but so much was on my mind. I watched Katie throughout the day, listening to things she said, how she said it. I wanted to know if what Dominic said was true.

I thought back to the way she tried hiding her laugh when I fell. How she just stood there, while Macy, who I didn't know very well and hardly talked to came to help me.

Maybe Dominic was right.