Chapter Sixty

𝓥𝓲𝓸𝓵𝓮𝓽

As soon as Dominic arrived, I wrapped my arms around him, hoping to provide some comfort.

We stood there for a moment. I listened to him breath, feeling the slow rise and fall of his chest, his heart beating inside his chest.

He pulled away, his hands falling to my elbows before I followed him to his car.

We got in. The air conditioning was on, blowing warm air softly onto my skin.

"Dominic, are you okay?"

I looked at his face. His blue eyes and perfectly messy hair. How well he hid his emotions. There was no sign of tears or sadness on his face. He was emotionless. A statue. Numb and unfeeling.

I couldn't imagine the possibility of losing my mother. She was my friend. She took care of Clara and I. I couldn't imagine losing her.

I put my hand over Dominic's, squeezing gently.

"I can't lose her," he finally said. His voice was soft, hinting at his desolation.

That next moment, he brought his hand to his forehead, dragging it down his face to rest over his mouth. His breath was heavy, keeping back tears.

He smiled then, half heartedly, pushing back his feelings. "I don't want you to see me like this." He looked at me and then to the house.

I got out of his car and went around to his side, opened the door, and hugged him. "I don't care. You're hurting, and it's okay."

To my own astonishment, I put my lips to his forehead, but I didn't care. He needed someone. He needed to know it was okay. It was okay to cry, to scream. Who cares if the world heard.

The longer I stood there, the more I felt his tears against my shoulder.

I promised then I'd never leave him. He was mine. Mine to take care of. Mine to protect. Mine to keep. Mine to love.