Chapter Eighty-Two

𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓪

Owen caught sight of me from the road and began to slow, pulling to the side. I backed away, trying to escape him before Maverick noticed.

"Clara!" He called.

I turned. His helmet was still on, but the visor had been lifted. All I could see was his chocolate brown eyes, surrounded by a black balaclava.

I looked back, and Maverick was still on his phone. He was facing the opposite direction.

"Hi," I kept my distance.

"Hey, how are you?" Owen reached for his helmet, unhurriedly loosening the strap beneath it before taking it off along with the balaclava, as if he had all the time in the world.

"Good," I said nervously, glancing back at Maverick briefly.

Owen’s gaze followed mine, and his expression darkened. “Boyfriend?” he prodded, his voice laced with a hint of possessiveness.

My eyes widened in alarm. “Oh no. No. I’m not - no,” I stammered, my pulse quickening.

He gave a slow, deliberate nod, his eyes never straying from Maverick. “Who is he then? A friend?

"Yes," I answered too quickly, my answer sounding more like a question.

“Hmm. That’s unfortunate,” he mused. “I know it’s late, but I was hoping to steal some time with you - just the two of us.”

Owen's eyes held a glint of something unreadable as he turned to watch Maverick. "Just the two of us," he repeated, his voice dropping to a murmur.

I swallowed hard, my mind racing. I couldn't leave Maverick. "I can't," I said, the words barely above a whisper. "I have plans."

"Plans can change," Owen insisted. He stepped off his bike, placing the helmet on the seat.

His presence felt overwhelming then as he stepped closer. I could almost feel the heat radiating from him despite the cool evening air.

"I... I really can't," I stammered. I curled my hands into little balls, hoping to stop the slight shaking.

Owen glanced over me and raised his chin. "Hello, sir." He said casually.

Maverick came up behind me, his eyebrows furrowed as he glanced between Owen and I. With him there beside me, I felt significantly calmer. "Who's this?"