Chapter Forty-Six

𝓥𝓲𝓸𝓵𝓮𝓽

Clara wasn't there when I returned home that evening.

Dominic had dropped me off. I rushed to the door, hoping his car would still be in the driveway, but when I opened the door, he was gone.

A sense of panic swept in as I ran to the kitchen to grab my phone when I saw a small note by the sink.

I picked it up and read it quickly, surprised to find Clara was on a date.

I dialed Dominic's number, holding the phone in a tight clutch to my ear.

I hated being alone.

When he didn't answer, I tried again, walking around the house and making sure every window and door was locked.

Looking under each bed and inside every closet. I didn't want to take any chances.

Finally, he picked up.

"Dominic!" I almost yelled, a slight sense of relief taking hold.

"Hey, you okay?"

"... Can you come back? Please. I... I really don't want to be alone."

Through the phone, I could hear him shifting. "What do you mean alone?"

"Clara's out, and I don't know how long she'll be." As I spoke, my voice grew softer and softer until it was barely above a whisper. "Please."

He answered quickly. "I'm turning around."

He hung up, and it didn't take long for him to come knocking at the door. Quickly, I rushed over and allowed him inside.

He had a stern look on his face, different from the melancholic atmosphere he's had for the past few days.

He came in quietly, settling his large frame against the kitchen counter. "Do you know where she is?"

I nodded, pointing at the slip of paper just behind him. He turned only slightly and picked it up to read. His eyebrows rose, "a date? That doesn't seem like her."

I nodded.

Dominic watched me from a distance and then motioned with a hand for me to come closer. Slowly, I came and stood a few feet in front of him.

"Are you afraid of being alone?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Somewhat... It... It just leaves me with my thoughts. I don't like that."

"You can call me. I'll always answer." He said simply.

"But it's," I paused and looked away, "I'm still alone." Thoughts of the assult entered my mind. The way his hands felt on my skin. I was alone then.

"Violet," the stern look on his face faded as he reached out for me. "I'll stay here with you, okay?" He scooped me up then, kissing my forehead as he took me down the hall to my bedroom.

I pointed, considering he had never been into my room before. He glanced around, setting me down on my feet as he closed the door.

The curtains were open, revealing the starless sky outside. The window pane reflected the soft glow of the lamp and the subtle silhouettes of Dominic and I.

Gently, I sat on my bed, watching as Dominic stepped over to my small collection of books, briefly glancing at them before looking down at the notebooks and homework neatly piled on the desk beneath.

"You did say you liked to clean," he cocked his head briefly as he looked around him, a small smile curving the ends of his lips.

He looked back at me, his eyes trailing me from head to foot. Something crowded his thoughts. You could see it in the way he looked. His eyes were holding secrets.

I moved closer to the wall, allowing him space to sit beside me. He came over slowly, sitting down on the white sheets and bringing up a knee to rest his elbow on.

"Violet," he looked at me and paused, releasing a small sigh. "God, you're beautiful," he said softly.

Heat rushed to my face, but I didn't care. He thought I was beautiful? Me?

I stared at him, searching his eyes for some sort of falsehood, but ultimately found none.

Suddenly, his hands found my waist as he leaned me back on the bed, serenading me with soft kisses, though there seemed to be an underlying hunger he was holding back.

He seemed large overtop of me, and it almost instilled a certain panic. My hands found his shoulders, and I pushed weakly.

I could feel the warmth of his hands as my shirt crept away from my jeans and over my head, realizing then how badly I was shivering.

His arms encircled me, lifting me up from the bed and into his arms as he sat back, kisses trailing down from my lips to my neck.

He held tighter, trying to warm my shivering body, his smiles resting upon my skin.

"Dominic," I finally managed to say, grabbing hold of his arms.

"Hmm?" His hand found my back and pressed me into his chest. I felt smaller then and panicked, realizing that I was without a shirt.

I clunge to him, not wanting him to see my almost bare chest.

He smiled, his voice husky, "I'm surprised you let me."

"Please... Please don't look at me."

"I already have," he laughed softly. "I'm the one who took it off you."

My face reddened. I put my forehead to his shoulder. "I'm cold."

"Are you cold or just excited?" He replied teasingly, leaning in closer.

I swallowed. "I'm cold."

He leaned against me, bracing me with a hand as he pulled back the sheets. The nerves spreading within my body only heightened when he began to run his fingers down my spine and then back up again.

I reached for my shirt and barely pulling away from him, I slipped it on. The back rested against his arm, considering the fact his fingers still caressed my backbone.

He leaned me back against the pillows and laid down beside me, filling in every possible inch of space there was between us.

I tried to ignore the open curtains, open to a dark world beyond it, trying to hide my view of it with Dominic's surrounding arms.

I grabbed a small fistful of his shirt, and somehow, this tiny action, though insignificant, made me feel that much more safer.