Chapter Fifty

𝓥𝓲𝓸𝓵𝓮𝓽

I expected Clara to be disheveled, haunted by the previous night like she did those months on the street.

But when she walked in, she looked as if she was just leaving to go for a date. Her hair was combed and sat delicately against her skin. Her dress was clean and free of wrinkle. Her makeup was simple and orderly, save a slight smudge under her eye.

I ran and threw my arms around her, almost tumbling back from the force.

Clara stroked my hair gently, motherly almost. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I'll explain later. Please forgive me, Violet."

I nodded, blinking back the sudden rise of tears, and looked over her shoulder to find Maverick there. A sudden vehemence came over me, and I wanted him to leave. I never wanted to see his face again.

He had a sorry look on his face that in other times would have made me feel sympathetic, but nothing but hatred filled my veins.

He seemed to recognize the look and nodded, mouthing the words I'm sorry and then silently turned to leave.

I pulled away from Clara, looking at her face and the smudge of mascara, and then to that normal far away look in her eyes.

"What happened?" I asked quietly.

"I'll tell you later," she smiled softly, hoping to comfort me in some way, as she nodded towards the figure behind me.

I'd forgotten Dominic was there.

He nodded, recognizing my need for an explanation, and made his way towards the door. "We'll talk later, okay?"

I nodded, thankful he understood.