Chapter Seventy-Two

𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓪

I didn't know what I was thinking. Agreeing to sit alone with him, a date, really.

I released a shaky breath, squeezing my hands together as I followed him down the street.

He walked slightly ahead of me, looking back occasionally, though I never met his gaze.

I looked at the ground, the occasional pop of grass forcing its way above the concrete, a cigarette butt, or wrapper from something.

He stopped at the corner, opening the door for me as we went inside a dark blue restaurant, large windows along the sides outlined in black.

Smells of different foods hit my nose. It smelled sea-ish, like fish and salt, and then something else I couldn't quite pinpoint.

"The serve really weird stuff here, but everything I've tried is really good," he said as the waitress led us to a table near the window, looking out to the busy road.

I nodded, sitting down at the table.

I thought about my last date - Maverick. I felt uneasy and aware of everything. The same feelings resurfaced again, but despite this, I felt better with Owen than I did Maverick.

He seemed trustworthy and kind. I almost wanted to throw myself at him, reveal my deepest secrets, and know that he would keep them and reply with some sort of warmth.

I forced myself to look at him, meeting his gaze cautiously to see him already staring back at mine.

"When do you have to be back?" He asked suddenly, putting his elbows on the table to allow his chin to rest on a knuckle.

"At least an hour," I said, noting that ten minutes or so had already passed.

"Great. Plenty of time." A smile tugged on his lips, adding as his brows furrowed, "you look so scared."

I swallowed, closing my eyes for a moment to breathe and grab my bearings. I opened my mouth to speak, but he beat me to it

"Relax your shoulders. You're so tense," he stared at me with an intensity that made me uneasy.

I looked down, forcing my shoulders to relax.

"Have you never been on a date before?" He added with a small smile.

I shook my head, "just once."

"Hm," he leaned back, glancing around the room, looking at different people, and then leaning forward again across the small table. "I have a question then."