Chapter Nineteen

𝓥𝓲𝓸𝓵𝓮𝓽

I woke that next morning, thinking about yesterday. About Dominic and Katie, about last night. I had slipped out from his arms and cleaned myself up. Fresh makeup and a clean face, different clothes, and a few sprays of perfume. I wanted to ask him as soon as he woke up, hoping he was calm, hoping he wouldn't lose his temper.

I waited, sitting at the dining room table, finishing up my homework and hoping it was right. I shivered and went to grab the folded blanket across the couch, looking at the thermostat on my way back, not knowing how to change it.

I looked at his apartment, admiring the chandelier and the neatness of the room. I heard the shower running then and waited, somewhat anxious, somewhat nervous, somewhat scared. Finally, he appeared, rubbing a small towel across his head. "Figured you were out here." He walked over, wrapping his arms around me. He smelled like soap and cologne, like sandalwood and leather, and a little bit of mandarin.

"Are you cold?" He asked.

"Dominic."

"Hmm?" He lifted me up, all tucked inside the blanket.

"Will you tell me?" I asked gently. I didn't even have to explain what I meant, and he knew.

"Sure," he said emotionlessly, leaning against the kitchen counter, not putting me down. "Like I said, you might be a little upset with me, but I'll make it up to you." He sighed, leaning his head back, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed.

"I don't want Katie hanging around you anymore."

My eyes widened. "What? What do you mean? Why?"

"She's not good for you. Violet, she doesn't care. She doesn't care about your feelings, she puts her needs above anyone else, she pressures you into things. She's a terrible friend." He put me down. "And I could go on."

I swallowed, my hands shaking as I started to protest. "But she's nice to me-"

"I don't care if she's nice to you," he said, cutting me off, his tone changing. "She doesn't care about you, Violet. She may say stuff or do things that may make you think she does, but overall, she really doesn't. She pressures you. The Club, the beach, wearing certain things, skipping school. She never talks about you, it's always herself, because she doesn't care."

I looked down, "but yesterday-"

"Violet, once you get a better friend that actually treats you right, you're going to realize how terrible of a friend Katie is. Somone who won't pressure you into things, especially after what you've been through, which Katie, again is completely oblivious to or in other words, doesn't give a damn. The last thing you need is some clueless airhead pushing you around."

I recoiled, wanting to ignore him. It hurt, not just the way he spoke about his sister with such indifference but how negatively he talked about her. My friend.

I looked down, wanting to cry, and replied softly, "just take me to school... Please."

"You had to hear it, Violet. I know Katie means a lot to you and it's not fair, but that's just the truth, whether you figure that out now or later." He crouched down, looking at me, taking my hand gently in his large one. "I'll take you to school. We can talk about this later."