Chapter Seventy-Seven

𝓥𝓲𝓸𝓵𝓮𝓽

Dominic stood at the airport, suitcases at his side.

The wad of cash was in my pocket. I'd managed to save up every penny I could to pay him back for all the things he'd bought for me - even the money Mini had loaned me months before she died.

He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer till there was no space between us, planting soft kisses along my face.

"Dominic," he pulled away enough to see me and watched as I slipped my fingers into the pocket of my jacket and produced his money.

"Woah, wait, wait... Where is that from? Why are you giving that to me?" He looked me in the eyes, his brows furrowed in confusion.

"I'm paying you back."

"For what, though? I don't remember you needing to, and even if you did, you're absolutely crazy to think I'd let you." His put his hand over mine, pushing the bills back into my chest.

"Keep that. I don't need you to pay me back for anything, Love." He kissed my cheek, bringing me back into his embrace.

He felt warm. I felt safe... I didn't want him to leave.

Tears made their way down my cheeks. I hurriedly wiped them away, but Dominic had already seen, already felt them against the sleeve of his shirt. He crouched down.

"Violet, please don't cry," he spoke so gently, swiping a thumb across my cheekbone. "You know, I'll be back, right?"

I laughed softly, feeling ridiculous, and nodded. "I know... It seems so long."

He stared a moment as if in thought, "I'll call you, you know that. I'll text you. I'll be back here before you know it."

He looked down at his phone then. "I have to leave in two minutes... Who's taking you back home?"

"Clara..." I sniffed, fighting the urge to cry, "Clara's almost here."

"Okay." He stood and cupped my face, running his thumbs across my cheekbones. "I'll call you when I land, okay?"

I nodded, keeping the tears back with every ounce of strength I had in me, and watched as he left.