Chapter Twenty-Two

𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓪

Violet was quiet. She did her homework at the dining table as she often did, but she never said a word. She stared, thinking about things, confusion swirling her features.

I didn't know what to say. What could I say? I didn't know Katie like she did, like Dominic did. I know she felt confused. I did too, especially when I thought about the times Katie was over here. She was so nice to her.

But then what could I say after the conversation we had in the car?

There were things on my mind I couldn't speak out loud. If only I had the courage, the will to tell her about the things I did and thought about it when she wasn't around. No matter how much I wanted it, I couldn't open my mouth and speak my mind, the truth.

So, I distracted myself, making a light meal, pleasant aroma's filling the room.

The house felt colder, the windows fogged up. Violet had a blanket around her shoulders. I had put on a jacket.

"Clara," Violet spoke up gently. I looked at her. "... Maybe we should do something," she said, and looked up. "Spend a day together," she suggested.

She looked at me almost hopefully, her head slightly tilted.

I smiled softly after a moment and nodded. "Tonight?"

A smile crossed her lips and she nodded. I finished cooking and then wrapped the food up on a plate and covered it in plastic wrap, putting it in the fridge for another day.

We could go out somewhere, and then do something fun.

She grabbed our coats, and we went to the car.