Forty-Three

𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓪

I couldn't stop thinking about him. About Maverick. About what he had said, what he had asked.

I talked to Mini. I paused. I didn't know how to say it. How to ask her.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, sensing my hesitation.

I took a deep breath and told her everything. About Maverick, about his request, about my fear.

How I wanted to trust him, but also how I was scared of him, how he scared me, how I couldn't trust him. I told her everything.

"Well, there's only one way to find out if you can trust someone."

I nodded, willing her to continue.

"You have to meet them."

"Meet them?" I repeated softly.

"Yes. Talk to them face to face. Look into their eyes. See their expressions. Hear their voice. Feel their energy."

"But I have," I protested quietly.

"I know, but you need to do it again. You need to do it now." She said through harsh coughs, waving her hand to show she was fine.

"Now?"

"Yes. Now."

As she went to grab a napkin, I looked down at my hands. Thinking, debating, wondering. "Why?"

"Because now is different from then." She said it so simply, as if it was so easy.

I took a deep breath, scared and unsure. Now. I need to do this now.

I nodded, feeling a sudden surge of bravery and headed for the door.