Chapter Twelve

𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓪

Since Katie had been deemed grounded, she spent a lot more time over with Violet. Alan had argued about this, but Mini had talked him down.

Tonight, Katie was staying over. Oftentimes, I drove them to school, considering Katie lost privileges to her car.

I was in the kitchen, trying out another one of Mini's recipes. Rosemary-Honey Shortbread.

Katie sat on the floor, playing Monopoly, which she had brought over. "It smells so good," she dragged.

I smiled to myself as I mixed together the ingredients, loving the smell that filled the room.

Katie did most of the talking, telling us about things she normally wouldn't say around her parents or brother. Trips to the club, other times she successfully skipped school. There was no accusing tone when talking about this. Or parties she'd gone to with Macy, and then finally, ended on a man named Nick.

"I like him. I like him a lot. He's tall, I mean, about my height, but still. You know he played basketball in high school? He was really good. I went to a lot of their games. Dom played too. Obviously, he was Center."

I looked between the two of them, watching as Violet listened with silent interest as Katie rambled. I smiled, enjoying the company.

"Did Dominic meet Nick through school?" Violet asked quietly, moving her figure along on the Monopoly board.

"Yeah. They both played basketball all throughout middle school and high school, so they're good friends." She laughed, "I don't know how Dom has any friends. He's so mean and dry to everyone. Nick though... he's pretty nice." She shrugged a shoulder.

"Soo," Katie started. "When did you and Dom make it official?" She giggled as Violet's face turned red. I looked back, surprised by this myself.

"He said a while ago," Violet answered, glancing over at me sheepishly.

"Ohhh-kay. Look, I don't care if you date my brother or anything, all I'm going to say is, Ew." She rolled. "And why? He's a jerk."

Violet giggled, "I don't think so."

"Yeah, whatever you say, anyway..."

I zoned out, wanting to remove myself from the conversation and finish baking before nine. I smiled; thankful Violet had a friend.