Chapter 76

The shrill ring of the phone jolts me awake from a fitful sleep

The shrill ring of the phone jolts me awake from a fitful sleep. I glance at the clock on my bedside table- 2:15 am. My heart begins to race at the thought of Hotch calling to delegate another case or that they've found Camilla. A million scenarios run through my mind.

  "Reid." I answer, my voice thick with sleep.

  "Agent Reid, this is Officer Daniels down at the precinct," a familiar voice responds. "I'm sorry to call you so early, but we have someone here who's insisting on speaking with you."

I sit up, instantly alert. "Who is it?" I ask, my mind racing. Has something happened to one of the team? Or worse, like I said, Camilla?

  "I'm not sure, but they seem quite distressed and messy. She said her name is Camilla."

Camilla. The name hits me like a punch in the gut. I haven't heard from her in months, not since she'd been taken by those...monsters. My heart pounds in my chest as a surge of hope and fear washes over me.

  "I'm on my way," I say, already swinging my legs over the side of the bed. "Don't let her leave."

  "Sure thing. We'll keep her here until you arrive."

I hang up my phone and spring into action. I quickly pull on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, my hands shaking with adrenaline. As I hurry towards the door, I realize I can't leave Auggie alone. Rushing back to the bedroom, I gently shake his shoulder. "Auggie, buddy, wake up," I whisper.

He stirres, blinking up at me with sleepy eyes. "Daddy? What's wrong?"

  "I need you to come with me, okay?" I say, trying to keep my voice calm and steady. "Something's come up and I have to go, but I can't leave you here by yourself."

He sits up, rubbing his eyes. "It is mommy?"

I hesitate, my throat tightening. "I'm not sure, buddy. But I need you to come with me, alright?"

Auggie nods, his expression suddenly more alert. He scrambles out of bed and just grabs a coat, his face etched with worry and I can't help but feel a pang of guilt for dragging him into this. But I have no choice. As soon as Auggie gets his shoes on, I'm ushering us both out the door and into the car. The drive to work is a blur, my mind racing with a thousand possibilities. The thought of Camilla being alive both thrills and terrifies me. I can't bear the thought of losing her again, of having to face the pain and heartbreak all over. And Auggie...how would our son react to seeing his mother.

When we arrive, I practically leap out of the car, Auggie trailing behind me. We burst through the doors, grabbing Auggie's hand as I get into the elevator. It feels like ages until we reach the right floor. My eyes scan the room until they land on a familiar figure pacing behind the glass doors emblemed with 'Behavioral Analysis Unit'. Auggie's running from my arms, pushing open the glass doors with his tony frame before it catches his mothers attention.