Chapter 61

I am forced back into the room I woke up in this morning with a shove

I am forced back into the room I woke up in this morning with a shove. My body meets the floor, and my hand barely keep me from smashing my face against the floor. I laugh, picking myself up and eyeing the camera in the far right corner. Enzo is watching, and I glare at the camera, hoping it speaks volumes. Fuck you, and fuck me for getting myself into this situation.

For so long, I have lived without a man; having my son was always enough for me, but the first time I finally give in, I am trapped once again. When I was in his office, I didn't speak up, and I was seconds away from getting my teeth kicked in when a man busted into the room shouting some English but some French, talking about some emergency. Enzo looked pissed off and ordered me to be thrown back into my room, where he would deal with me later.

The door slams closed behind me, and I rub the raw skin of my calves to relieve the ache. I walk over to the closet to find all of my belongings shoved inside the large space. He's not looking to let us go anytime soon. Fantastic. I grab a t-shirt from the bag, standing to push the bed towards the right side of the room. Climbing on top of the comfy surface, I shove my middle finger in front of the camera before tying the t-shirt around it so no one can see me anymore.

Good riddance.

  "Mommy, the door is locked." Auggie whines, shaking the locked doorknob and trying to get inside.

  "It's okay, August. I'm coming." Entering the bathroom, I dig in the drawers and find a bobby pin and a nail filer. I make my way to the door and make quick work of the lock. Sliding the pin and filer into the bolt, I wait for the pin to sink into the locking mechanism before turning the knob. I use the heel of my hand to smash the filer in, busting the lock and opening the door.

August giggles, covering my mouth to muffle it. "I like when you do that, like a superhero." His words come out muffled, and I smile, picking him up and lying him on the bed with me. His brown doe eyes run over my face, and he reaches his hand up to stroke my face.

  "Mommy, how long are we staying?" I kiss his little fingers, closing my hands as I breathe him in. He's always smelled like home, the long afternoons where we would just lay in bed. August smiles a bit, and I can see Spencer staring back, tears welling up in my eyes.

  "Not long."

  "They catch us."

  "I'm sorry, baby. I'm sorry for everything."

  "It's okay, mama." I wrap my arms tighter around my body and hope that I can be enough for him now. I went through all the pain for him so he wouldn't have to, but now I'm at a fork in the road, and I don't know where the hell to go.

Less than five minutes later, he is fast asleep beside me, and I take the time to contemplate our next move. If I do not answer Enzo's questions the next time they drag me to him, he'll kill me and, even worse, Auggie. I stand, entering Auggie's room, shocked by the sheer number of toys that litter the room. I see Joey Kitty lying on his bed beside the other stuffed animals.